2nd Brew Questions (AHS related)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Ok, 2nd solo brew. It was an AHS Spiced American Wheat kit. Everything went ok for the most part but I had a few questions.

1. The kit came with a large mesh bag that the directions didn't reference, any idea what this is? Not a meslin bag.

2. The kit came with a 14 oz. Alcohol Boost which was added at boil. Does this affect my OG? Mine was slightly higher than the kit OG.

3. I used the yeast fuel that also came with the kit. Is this necessary? First solo brew fermented just fine without.

I am not worried about the outcome of the beer, just more curious as to the nature of the questions. I want to know and understand what each addition does and how it affects the reading and the beer, hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any input. Thank you!

i also just got a kit from them and the grains came in the bag,and the alc boost uped my fg about 8 points or so,i used the yeast fuel and i think it helps speed the fermentation process up.

Ok to clarify: The grains came in a meslin bag used to steep. There was also a very large mesh bag, not meslin, in the kit.

Thanks for the help though!

It was an extract kit, yes. My wife tossed it out but it was probably 20 inches wide by 30 inches. I was wondering if it was supposed to be used to filter perhaps?

I did, I followed all the instructions. Smelled great ;)

I did spill a little vodka when I knocked the fermenter and the airlock spilled, but oh well.

I was impressed with AHS shipping and instructions, not the last kit I will buy from them.

If you ordered a mini mash kit it needs a larger bag than a muslin bag. Our minimash kits do not come with a bag and you need to buy one seperately. You will eventually need one and you might of been sent one by accident. You should have kept it.

Forrest

1. The kit came with a large mesh bag that the directions didn't reference, any idea what this is? Not a meslin bag.

The mesh bag is for steeping the grain. It may be made of nylon.

2. The kit came with a 14 oz. Alcohol Boost which was added at boil. Does this affect my OG? Mine was slightly higher than the kit OG.

The alcohol boost is completly optional. It is a highly fermentable sugar for the yeast to eat. Since the OG is a reading of how much sugar is in the batch, adding more sugar will raise your OG. The final gravity will be close but not always correct. We cannot predict it exactly.

3. I used the yeast fuel that also came with the kit. Is this necessary? First solo brew fermented just fine without.

Yeast Fuel is a proprietary blent of nutrients for the yeast. It is not absolutely necessary but it is like vitamins you take. It makes sure you have a really healthy fermentation. It can take as much as 2 days off of your fermentation time. Makes the beer ferment clearer and taste better.

Forrest

Back