corn syrup wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg595

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of using corn syurp to make corn wine. I've got a few recipes for making corn wine. But there's a process called Spouting the Corn, its to release the starch from the corn so it can be converted into alcohol.
Corn syurp is made from sweet corn that has been spouted.
A quart of corn syurp does approximately a gallon of water.
Any knowledge would be appreciated.

tommyg595 said:
Has anyone heard of using corn syurp to make corn wine. I've got a few recipes for making corn wine. But there's a process called Spouting the Corn, its to release the starch from the corn so it can be converted into alcohol.

Never tried it. Matter of fact, using corn syrup never even crossed my mind!! Cane suger gives me migranes so I have to be sure my wines ferment compleatly dry. Corn is safe for me however. Let us know how it comes out!

Edit - I misread your post. Sprouting corn sounds like a PITA when you can just use some barley to convert the corn. I dont see why using corn syrup would be any different since its still glucose/fructose.

What is PITA?
I started a batch of corn syurp wine 2 weeks ago. I used D47. I normally open air ferment my wine for 3 to 5 days or till the SG drops to 1.050. Than transfer it to the primary.
Well it took a week for the SG to drop to 1.050.
Now its been 2 weeks. The SG hasn't moved but there is still airlock activity.
Any thoughts on what's wrong?
This is the first time I had wine that has done this.

I've heard of doing that. But mainly for distilling purposes. It's easier than mashing cracked corn at temps to convert the starches to sugars or however that works, in order to have fermantable sugars to make the "wine".

That been said, don't know anyone who's done a wine from corn syrup and used actual wine yeast, in order to drink that wine, instead of distilling it. But I would imagine, you could make a very drinkable wine with the right yeast and maybe even some backsweetening. Give it a try!

I'll also go out on a limb and say that adding fruit(s) to this wine could turn out really nice.

Thanks Kdog22. It actually taste great as a juice. The SG was 1.100. Its fell to 1.050. Taste a little of wine. But it don't seem to be doing anything fast. And I was thinking about adding some blueberrys, but wanted to see what it turned out like first.
I have a small distillery, and if it don't turn out, I'll run it through there.

tommyg595 said:
What is PITA?
I started a batch of corn syurp wine 2 weeks ago. I used D47. I normally open air ferment my wine for 3 to 5 days or till the SG drops to 1.050. Than transfer it to the primary.

PITA stands for Pain In The As-

Try adding a little more nutiant. Or give it a quick stir. It is also possible the syrup is so loaded with solids the sg will stay higher then expected.

It still has airlock activity but its slow slow slow. Its taken 2 or so weeks to fall 0.050. So, I've added K1-V1116 to see if it will start moving faster.
I open air ferment for 3 to 5 days or till the SG drops to 1.050. Whipping it every 12 hours. But this stuff is SLOW. Taste a little winey. Not bad. But SLOW.

What is PITA?

PITA = pain in the ass

I have done this and still have one bottle left. Here is the thread that involved my corn cob/corn syrup endeavor.

corn cob wine

Here is the recipe:

1 gallon recipe

2lb whole ears of corn
Karo corn syrup to a gravity of 1.072
2 tsp acid blend
1 tea bag of hibiscus tea blend
4 oz raisins
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast

First I will chop up corn into smaller pieces and freeze them. Then I will boil the corn for 30 minutes. Let it cool and then cut off the corn while saving the water. I'll save the actual corn for cooking later. Split the cob into some smaller bits and boil again for another 30 min. Next ill transfer the cob and water into the primary and mix in all the ingredients. The vanilla pod will be split, seeds scraped into primary and toss the whole pod in. Once the temp is right ill pitch rehydrated yeast. Let this ferment dry then transfer to secondary. I'll try and clear with bentonite. Once clear I will back sweeten to 1.02ish.

I was reading the thread out of curiosity... and I don't mean to hijack the thread...
But distilling, eh? This sparks my curiosity. I have often wanted to do this, but of course it's 'illegal' and I have no idea how long the process takes or if the final product is worth it.
Im a beer brewer and a beer and whiskey (of all kinds) kind of guy.

Pre fermentation (to chaptalize) ...
High-maltose corn syrup (HMCS) is used in commercial brewing. High-dextrose corn syrup is used in making commercial cider.

Some home winemakers use it. I do not.

Commercially, there are regulations regarding whether you can chaptalize at all ... sugar or corn syrup. I don't think California allows commercial vintners to chaptalize with anything but grape juice concentrate. No to sugar ... and I'm sure no to corn syrup. Other states have their own laws allowing it in certain circumstances. Federally ... it is allowed in certain circumstances.

Now, backsweetening? ... a different story.

I think Manichewitz uses it. (not the passover one ... that's still sugar). Other sweet wine-like "products" (think "pasteurized cheese product") probably have it.

PITA stands for Pain In The As-

Try adding a little more nutrient. Or give it a quick stir. It is also possible the syrup is so loaded with solids the sg will stay higher then expected.

Yep. Nutrient.
"corn syrup wine" would otherwise be known as a "sugar wash" in other disciplines (which shall go unmentioned here).

Some use other things in place of nutrient in sugar wash ... vegemite if it's unsalted ... even things like unsalted organic tomato paste.

Thanks for all the input. Ill give the recipe a try.
Someone said that there was a lot of solids in cornsyurp. So I done some research on the internet. Seems to be true. So i went ahead and distilled the cornsyurp wine. I live in MO and I can distill 100 gallons a year. (I might use it twice a year)(maybe make a gallon all year.

Missouri passed a law allowing the people that live in the state the right to distill there own moonshine. There might be a Fed law stopping it. But theres a Fed law stopping marijuana, but its legal in 23 states.
I bought my 5 gallon still last year when they opened it up. Bought it from the brew and wine shop in my area.
Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry Tommy I did not realize it is legal to make moonshine. So can you use sweet feed or corn mash for this legally? I didn't think you could distill anything except water.

I ah, humm, how can I say this, yea ok, know of a guy who takes corn meal and mixes it up with water, it is thick at this time, raises the temp to 150 and adds amylase enzyme, in a hour it is thin and fully converted

he adds more water and ferments it

he then, ah, distills it for, medical alcohol, yea that's right medical alcohol

Just like mead you can use corn syrup to make wine as the base. (instead of fruit)
How ever, it's not tasty.
Two kinds of corn syrup basicly. One is regular old corn syrup.( that's the one you want to use )
Then there's the kind that has been processed extra, so as to, be sweeter than normal. ( might contain fermentaion stopper or worse )
The way you tell the difference for sure, is to buy two different types and taste em. You'll know. Its obvious. The good kind leaves ya wonderin why it ain't sweeter.
The best use is thinking of it like a substitute for your sugar or honey in your must.
Remember this; you replace cups for pounds. Don't use equal pound for pound. Cut back one once per pound on the corn comparing to sugar recipe.
It's better to under start than over start. Starting too early and/or strong will cause fermentation to stop faster and not allow the must to capture the fruity flavor.
For the most part that's what I know. The rest is top secret for competition.
Yes it can be a very good tool when we understand it.

I was reading the thread out of curiosity... and I don't mean to hijack the thread...
But distilling, eh? This sparks my curiosity. I have often wanted to do this, but of course it's 'illegal' and I have no idea how long the process takes or if the final product is worth it.
Im a beer brewer and a beer and whiskey (of all kinds) kind of guy.
Not illegal to make spirits if...it is for personal use, and can't make more than X amt/ year

I make a corn ice cream which is one of my family's favorites. It has a very definite corn taste to it, which for sweet corn works well in a sweet dessert. I would be very curious to see how the taste translates to wine. (I know the thread title is on corn syrup which has no corn flavor; just that this has me thinking...)

Starting with raw corn on the cob, I cut the kernels off the cob and take them for a spin in the blender (as Alton Brown would say). Then put the puree plus the cut-up and mashed cobs into the milk and cream base, then boil the whole mess for about 5 minutes. Let cool and then refrigerate overnight then strain the bits out and make ice cream as usual.

I'm thinking down something similar for wine but boiling in a gallon of water (for a 1-gallon recipe).

Thoughts or suggestions?

Zombie_thread_arise.jpg

Back