New Hop - “Fresh tropical citrus, with a hint of wafting joint smoke from around the"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in a house of smokers I've never wanted to smoke anything my entire life including marijuana. I think it smells as bad as cigarettes.

I have nothing against other who like it. All my friends do.

Sounds disgusting. Last thing I would ever want is my beer to taste and smell like pot. Some weird crap really going on in brewing nowadays. í*¾í´”

That's funny because all the most popular hop varieties are very similar in character to high quality cannabis. Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo, Simcoe, etc.

I ordered some but its no surprise. We've been doing alot of terpene break downs with both hops and marijuana in our lab and have found that with only the taste and aroma of each, you can't tell them apart at all. Many strains of both marijuana and hops share high terpenes of Myrcene and Humulene.

Sounds disgusting. Last thing I would ever want is my beer to taste and smell like pot. Some weird crap really going on in brewing nowadays. ��

Depends on what type of pot you get. I was at a park once on a super nice October day like 2 years ago, and when the breeze blew you would get a whiff of amazingly floral, clean smelling pot smoke. It was just dank enough that you knew it was pot, but it smelled like jasmine, flowers, strawberries, something super sweet and light and fragrant. It's weird to talk about weed in this way but it was the best smelling weed Ive ever smelled.

There was a group of high school kids on a bench in the direction it was coming from and I almost wanted to go ask for a hit but Im like 10 years older and dont want to get arrested. But damn if it wasnt the best smelling pot I've ever smelled. I know what that Jimi Hendrix song is about now.

If marijuana ever gets legalized Im gonna start up a "craft pot" scene.

Hints of orange zest, vanilla, with a woodsy finish and that earthy, dank undertone. Hahaha.

"It’s a very “clean” hop, without the tendency that many potent hops have to throw diesel oil/machine oil notes, or extreme “BO” or “cattiness”."
I love diesel oil aromas in my hops, though. Wtf?! Never heard/read anything like this statement....

Man I'm getting the munchies!!!!! Can't wait to shotgun some of those babies!!!

Man I'm getting the munchies!!!!! Can't wait to shotgun some of those babies!!!

58038775.jpg

"It’s a very “clean” hop, without the tendency that many potent hops have to throw diesel oil/machine oil notes, or extreme “BO” or “cattiness”."
I love diesel oil aromas in my hops, though. Wtf?! Never heard/read anything like this statement....

Amarillo are actually notorious for this diesel aroma, I didn't believe it either until I started selling tons of hops. You can get it in Summit and a few other high AA American hops

Got around to brewing with this hop and I think people are going to like this variety. Citrusy, earthy, mildly floral, not too sharp or green. Not overly "juicy" but complex and balanced. Very Northwest type hop character that'd go great in APAs/IPAs/Ambers/Cali Common/Blondes/etc...

Got around to brewing with this hop and I think people are going to like this variety. Citrusy, earthy, mildly floral, not too sharp or green. Not overly "juicy" but complex and balanced. Very Northwest type hop character that'd go great in APAs/IPAs/Ambers/Cali Common/Blondes/etc...

I agree with the above (as far as I've taken this batch so far, anyway... )

Got a 5gal DIPA going using a full pound of the X331 hops, just now ready to keg. I think it's gonna be a winner,

5.5gal; ~120ppm Ca++, ~250ppm SO4, ~50ppm Cl-

14# NW American Pale
(Mash 148°F for 90min)

2oz X331 at 120min
2oz X331 at 15min
2oz X331 at flameout

3# light DME
0.5# cane sugar
(I can only handle up to 14# grain on my stovetop BIAB; DME and sugar added at flameout)

4oz X331 hopstand (after cool to ~140°F)

(I do not whirlpool or anything; all of the above hops and trub go right into the BmB)

2L 1.040 starter of WLP090 San Diego Super
(Ferm 1 week at 65°F, then raise to 72°F for another week)

4oz X331 dryhop at 72°F for last 3 days of second week
2oz X331 keg hop

-------------

I got OG 1.089, FG 1.015 (83% ADF), calc about 8 SRM, 10.5% ABV and 95 IBU

Wow, that's a heck of a recipe. Do you always do 2 hour boils?

I'm still pretty primitive in process, very simple stovetop BIAB, no sparge. When I do a fairly high gravity batch, I use more water in the mash to retain good efficiency, thus I have more to boil off. Plus I recently stopped using my supplemental 120v heatstick (just a bucket heater) while boiling because I think it was scorching the wort and creating an off-flavor, thus making my boils take even longer now.

Awright... ya got me. 4oz on the way, should be enough to do a nice little SMASH to see what it's all about. I actually enjoyed the Columbus SMASH I did over the summer, so I'm expecting I'll dig this one as well, if the description fits.

Gonna duplicate the SMaSH I did with Mosaic recently (AA values are really close). The rough cut:

7.5 gallon boil, 60 min boil
13.5# Maris Otter
0.5# Carapils (yeah, I know not a SMaSH, really)
2% acid malt

Water: followed Brewer's Friend "light and hoppy" profile

~ 40 IBUs (I keep it light so the aroma and flavor of the hops can show)

1 oz @ 20
0.5 oz @ 15
0.5 oz @ 5
1 oz dry hop for one week after primary is done
1 oz in 1 liter hop tea (160deg for 30mins) at kegging

I know the hop schedule seems boring to real IPA fans, but the Mosaic/Maris Otter version (called "yer M.O.M." with an identical hop schedule) was probably the best brew I've ever made.

:mug:

That is pretty light on the hops. The APA I made had almost the same hopping schedule. 1oz @ 15, 1oz @ 5, 2oz dry hop, ~30 IBU, .91 IBU/SG. The hops are there but the beer is very well balanced.
For what your doing I'd probably go 2oz @ 15 and 2oz dry hop or you'll end up closer to an English IPA. FWIW here's the APA I brewed...

Batch size - 5.25gal
OG - 1.048
IBU - 30
Yeast - Nottingham

Grain Bill - single infusion mash, 60min @ 152

4.25# Fawcett MO
4# Weyermann Vienna
8oz White Wheat
8oz Crystal 60

Boil

1oz @ 15
1oz @ 5

Dry hop - 2oz for 3-4 days

That is pretty light on the hops.

I dig it, and really don't disagree. I think the hop tea is pretty much cheating: that massive dose of hop oil and aroma without isomerization right before bottling/kegging just CRANKS it up. I've tried it so far in SMaSHs of Columbus and Mosaic, both with awesome results. I had a buddy who is a "non hoppy beer" drinker try one and it was so hoppy to him that he couldn't finish it.

SO, I'll see how it goes. Worst case, if it's not hoppy enough, or if it's TOO dank and REALLY needs another hop added to be drinkable, I can pop the top on the keg and add another dose of tea.

Gonna duplicate the SMaSH I did with Mosaic recently (AA values are really close). The rough cut:

7.5 gallon boil, 60 min boil
13.5# Maris Otter
0.5# Carapils (yeah, I know not a SMaSH, really)
2% acid malt

Water: followed Brewer's Friend "light and hoppy" profile

~ 40 IBUs (I keep it light so the aroma and flavor of the hops can show)

1 oz @ 20
0.5 oz @ 15
0.5 oz @ 5
1 oz dry hop for one week after primary is done
1 oz in 1 liter hop tea (160deg for 30mins) at kegging

SO, I just dropped this in the keg, and am sipping on the hydro sample as I type.

Call this stuff "The Notorious D.A.N.K."

I'm not a beer judge, and it's only just lately that I've been paying attention to the hops that are in a recipe and started using SMaSHs to try an educate my taste buds. Because of this, I must admit that I lack the experience and vocabulary necessary to really express the taste. But, I'll try.

So far, it seems more like Columbus than anything else I have tried. Heavy and dank: strong odor and taste. This stuff is NOT light, not citrusy. It's not the 150 pound hipster in tight jeans sitting at the bar swirling his brew in a glass (call this guy Centennial or Cascade). This stuff is the scary lookin' biker dude with scabby knuckles and the thick gray beard that doesn't give a S*IT about what anyone else says, sitting alone at the bar and DARING someone to ask him to move.

I followed my above recipe; the only thing that worries me is I didn't take a big swig of the hydro sample before adding the tea. I know others have mentioned that my recipe is hop-light; but for my taste this is easily going to be hoppy enough if not a bit too heavy after the tea, given its punch.

NONE of this is a vote against the strain. It definitely packs a punch and it's definitely worth trying out! That said, even my untrained taste tells me it needs another hop to balance it out a bit. I probably won't make another SMaSH with this, but would love to find a good hop mix to make it shine. ...Something to be the Murdoch to its Mr. T., if you will.

I'll holler back in 2-3 weeks when I tap the keg, and let you know how the finished product turned out!

I just kegged a Rye Pale Ale using Columbus to bitter with 2oz X331 for a 20 minute flameout steep and 2oz X331 for a 3 day dry hop.
The hydrometer sample was Uber DANK yet fruity. Really nice!
I'm really looking forward to the carbonated version! Too bad my CO2 tank was empty when I went to hook it up.:mad:

I see a recent trademark filing under the name of Strata for Indie Hops, which I believe make the X331. However, I can't locate anything else indicating the X331 has been assigned a name or name of Strata. donk5, can you clarify how you know this?

Back