Foamy Nitro Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMan

Reaction score
My recent RYePA I threw on nitro was in the keg and on pressure at 30psi for 2 weeks prior to tapping. Carbonation was perfect and cascaded beautifully. Since then, I have left it at 30 psi as researched. Now, I'm pulling 1/2 foam after cascade is complete.

Help!

Are my lines too short? They are approx 4-5 ft out of a purchased setup.

Is my pressure too high? I've tried dropping it, but no real change. I thought nitro taps were at a significant higher pressure.

I would say you over-carbed the beer at 30# for 2 weeks. Now that you have 30 psi of a mixed gas on it,the CO2 is coming out of solution till it gets to equillibrium with the partial co2 pressure of the 30 psi mixed gas. Whats your nitro mix %? I'm assuming you originally carbed with staight co2 @ 30psi for 2 weeks??

It has been on mixed gas the entire time. The ratio is 25% CO2 and 75% nitrogen. From what Ive read, mixed gas (specifically nitrogen) takes longer to absorb into liquid and requires a higher pressure. Also, I've read the nitro taps require a higher dispensing pressure. All that said, it still isn't working the way it should.

Using 25/75 mix to carb should have made it the correct level of carbonation. I'm guessing the first few pulls the beer wasn't fully carbed yet and that's why it came out fine. Now that it is fully carbed, you need longer lines to balance it out.

Interesting. So I would assume the formula for balancing the system would be equal regardless if using CO2 or Nitrogen.

are you pouring through a nitro faucet?

x2! Are you pouring out of a nitro faucet with a restrictor disc? If you are, then line length does not have any noticeable impact-- the restrictor disc is what accomplishes this. Many run only ~4' of hose on nitro setups without issue.

Back