Yeast activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
I used White Labs British Ale Yeast (WLP005) for a Nut Brown. The bottle said to remove yeast from fridge 3 to 6 hours before using. However, my brewing process took longer than I thought and the yeast was sitting at room temp for 8 hours before it was pitched. Did I kill the yeast? I do not see active fermentation yet. However, I only pitched the yeast approximately 9 hours ago (late Saturday night).

The short answer is no, leaving the yeast at room temperature for a few hours will not kill them.

The longer answer(s) can be found in a thread in the begineer's brewing forum, it's a sticky thread called something like "fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start". Sorry I can't copy the link for you - I'm using my iPhone and I can't cut and paste on it.

Hope this helps!

What he said.

The reason to take it out early is to allow it to stabilize at room temperature so that it won't be shocked going from your cold refrigerator to your 70 (or whatever) degree wort. Your yeast could sit all day at room temperature and still be viable.

Edit:
None of this counts if your room temperature is over 90 degrees. :cross:

I pitched the yeast with the wort at 60 degrees. Is this too much of a temperature difference?

I pitched the yeast with the wort at 60 degrees. Is this too much of a temperature difference?

No. Did you read the sticky thread I suggested about how long fermentation can take to start, especially if you pitch liquid yeast without making a starter? RDWHAHB :mug:

What he said.

The reason to take it out early is to allow it to stabilize at room temperature so that it won't be shocked going from your cold refrigerator to your 70 (or whatever) degree wort.

Actually, I'm a big fan of pitching cold yeast into warmer wort. I don't pitch into 70f wort often as I make lagers for the most part, but there are times.

Now I wouldn't recommend pitching warm yeast into cold wort as I don't see the shock to the yeast reacting the same, but I certainly do pitch into warmer wort as a normal ROT for me.

No. Did you read the sticky thread I suggested about how long fermentation can take to start, especially if you pitch liquid yeast without making a starter? RDWHAHB :mug:

Do you have that link for the sticky thread? Beats searching for it.

By the way, still no activity. I'm crossing my fingers.

Latest posts

Back