Hop bag scorched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
So I made a black IPA over the weekend and Im wondering how its going to turn out. Ive been trying different techniques to get the amount of roast character to a minimum by using midnight wheat for darkening and adding most of it just for mashout.

I think I may have done the exact opposite this time around though when i smelled a very roasty charred smell about midway through the boil. I eventually found out that one of my hops bags got stuck under the heating element in my kettle and basically burned a hole through the bag and adhered to the heating element. Ive since managed to clean it off, but has anyone accidently done anything like this? Were you definitely able to tell in the finished beer?

I had that happen once. I put my IC in for the last ten minutes to sanitize and it pinched the hop bag to the bottom. I had to pitch that batch because it was unbearable to even smell. I had to take a sanding disk to clean the bottom of the keggle.

crap, well mine didnt smell awful, just unusually roasty. Hopefully it wont turn up as much in the taste or smell after 2 weeks of fermentation. Either that, or the 21oz of hops will cover it up...

Was the hop bag made from a synthetic material like nylon? I can't imagine that melted into your brew will taste very good.

well, the airlock has smelled fine from day one. havent gotten a hint of that campfire-y smell I had during the 2nd half of the boil from the bag so im hoping itll turn out alright

ugh....I had this kegged and ready to go and it was entirely undrinkable. The taste was like 50% nice piney/dank hops that I enjoy in my black IPAs and 50% burnt rubbery flavors. First time Ive had to dump an entire batch since over 100 batches ago...

That sucks. Live and learn I guess, hang your bags on a string and make sure they stay free floating (or use a hop spider).

Back