time from mash to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
I have a question about wait time between mashing and boil. I brew in 5 gallon batches, and it seems like it takes me about 6 hours from start until I drop the fermenter in the converted freezer for fermenting .

I trying to make the best use of my time. How long can I wait between mashing and boiling ??

What I would like to do is mash in the evening after work, save the wort in a plastic pail (I have many). Then boil and finish the next day. Is this possible without any negative side effects ??

You'd need to mash out to stop enzyme activity. But I'd be concerned if the wort started to sour. Maybe you could alter your process and get done with a full batch in 5 hours or less?

With practice you can go from setup to cleanup in 4.5 hours. You just have to be efficient about it, not drink too much, and it honestly helps to brew by yourself so you don't have to entertain somebody else.

Here are some ways to save some time:

-The day before brewing you need to run through your equipment and ingredients to make sure you have everything you'll need.
-Instead of starting the brew session by spending 30 minutes setting everything up, start the mash first. Once you have the mash going, then you can get all the rest of your equipment set up.
-While you're lautering, prepare your hop additions.
-While you're boiling, clean the mash equipment, sanitize the fermenter and hoses, etc.
-During the chilling process, do more cleaning.

I think the biggest time suck for most people is thinking they have to perfectly set up everything before they even turn the heat on. I remember when I started brewing I would spend at least an hour or more setting up, cleaning and sanitizing everything, setting up tables and chairs, putting all my equipment in the garage, etc. My extract batches were taking 4 hours this way.

Not drinking and not brewing with friends are unfortunately the easiest way to speed things up but of course we all know these are also two of the most fun things about brewing. So I suggest trying some of my methods by yourself until you get into a routine, and then you'll be comfortable inviting people over, and maybe having a beer. I still don't start drinking until I'm at least boiling, but usually not until the cooling.

I don't recommend the split method, where you mash one day and boil the next... I think there's too much room for error, although theoretically you could make it work. I think concentrating on your efficiency should be your first step.

I'd additionally recommend milling all your grain and measuring your water the day before you brew. Then follow the above recommendations, especially the drinking part ;).

thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm going to do 2 batches back to back tomorrow. I filtered and have my water ready, mash tun out and pot cleaned ready to go. I'll start boiling at 6 am. so it should go smoother since i wont be drinking in the morning.:D

In agreement with those above. I measure and crush my grains the night before, as well as weigh out my hops and put them into baggies.

I usually hop burst, so I usually have a half hour or 45 minutes of time during the boil when I sanitize post-boil equipment, empty and clean the mash tun, etc.... I usually brew in the morning, which cuts down on the drinking. :)

I can routinely knock out a 5 gallon batch in 4-4.5 hours. A 10 gallon batch takes another half hour. Knowing your equipment and having a routine (as well as a few young daughters!) helps keep things running efficiently.

after brewing a double batch yesterday, I have discovered a big part of my problem. It's taking waaaayyyy to long for my burner to heat my water. I am using a 15,000 BTU side burner to my natural gas barbecue. on my afternoon batch it took 1 hour to bring my wort to a boil , and it started at 150 dg out of the mash. this is way too long.

I am going to have to get a bigger burner. I like using that side burner as its built in to a very large concrete/brick outside bar/bbq I had custom made. lots of surface are to spread everything out, and my draft tower is built into it.

I really dont want to go the propane route unless I have to. its a pain to lug those tanks around.

If anyone has a suggestion for a reasonably priced natural gas burner with a high BTU, please let me know.

thanks

That sounds like a serious bottleneck in your time efficiency. Search around some threads here I know I've seen people talk about NG burners. IIRC, there is a guy named Kladue who seems to be the expert on here about burner efficiency.

Back