Fermentation time too short?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
Hey, gang.

I'm on batch number three, a honey cream ale that started out with a tremendous amount of promise. I had high hopes after the brown ale and hefeweizen turned out so beautifully!

I had it in the primary for about five days...bubbling away...then nothing. No bubbles coming from the airlock and it looked completely flat. At day five I racked it to the secondary...and so it sits.

I haven't taken a gravity reading. Was planning on that tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned at this point? Do I let it go? Repitch yeast?

Hunter

Some brews can ferment out in five days no problem, depending on the yeast. At this point, I would not do anything until I knew the gravity. If its fermented out, then you don't need to do anything. If you find out that it is not fermented out to your liking THEN worry about what to do.

My shortest ferment was 18 hours. That was a Brown with an OG of 1.044 @ about 75F.

Higher temps generally=quicker fermentation times - but rememeber to try and keep the temp in the range that the yeast is rated for.
The rate of bubbles could be influenced by many factors other than where the fermentation is...tightness of lid, seal on ailock, type of airlock, etc, ect.
You won't really know until you check the gravity....but I am sure its fine.

Latest posts

Back