Beano in my recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolson

Reaction score
So im about to make a brew that calls for beano that anti gas stuff... im wondering why this is in the recipe? it says crush 4 tablets and add to fermenter...

Beano is something like amylase I think, which breaks up complex starches into sugars, making them fermentable. Can you post the recipe? Might have something that gives lots of starch to the wort.

well the recipoe is at my house... put it is a braggot... honey and malt and such little bit of corn sugar...

you probably dont need the beano. The problem with it is, unless you denature the amalayse enzyme before bottling, you never really know when it will stop converting starches to sugars.

From what I have heard from other members, don't use it. I remember reading (I think it was David_42?) about a batch that finished out terribly dry because of it and it took forever.

Back