Stuck Fermentation?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Othereal

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed my umpteenth dry Irish stout a few weeks back, and my F.G. is stuck at 1.024. O.G. was 1.045. The taste and aroma are great, but an ABV of ~2.76 is not exactly what I was looking for. Normally, my stouts go to an F.G. of around 1.010, but this one stopped short. The recipe I used was:

6 gal. batch size,

Pale Malt (2 row) 7 lbs.
Flaked Barley 1 lb.
Roasted Barley 3 lb.
Choc. Malt .25 lb

1.5 Oz. Goldings 60 min.
Irish yeast (1084)

I only got 69% efficiency, which I attribute to forgetting to add Gypsum to my R/O water that I used. But I had a 1000 ml. starter that had been very active, pitched at 74, Fermentation was at ~69, a little warmer than I would have liked, but shouldn't have inhibited the fermentation. I know I should have pitched at a lower temp. and let it rise afterwards, but it hasn't been a problem in the past on these stouts. Mash was 3.5 gal. @ 153, 60 min. sac. rest, recirc. after 30 min. to clear, and 20 min. sparge to 1.038 P.B.G. at 7.25 gal.

Any ideas on why it would stop at 1.024, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

Back