Worried About Kegerator Tower Mount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
Got this 2-tap tower for Christmas, installed it that same day and have been happily dispensing porter and Old Chub clone for several weeks now.

I've got a GE WMR04GAVBB fridge with the freezer plate spread flat against the unit's back and the door's shelves ripped out, and it just squeezes in 2 ball-lock cornys and a small CO2 tank with regulator. Needed a temp controller to go high enough for beer as opposed to beer slushie, but that's all working wonderfully now.

The only issue is that the screws that came with the tower weren't quite long enough to go through the sheet-metal top, insulation, and plastic inner shell of the fridge's "ceiling." At first it looked as though there was no way to secure the screws (holes in the steel top that were big enough for the screws weren't small enough for the threads to bite). I eventually wound up jamming some wooden matches in each screw hole, and those miraculously provided enough bite for the screws to hold, and the rest has been Zymurgy.

Thing is, after several dozen blissful pints, I think I'm starting to feel the tower giving a bit each time I work the tap handles forward and back. More than likely the screw-in-matchstick-in-foam mounting is failing to wear well over time. Sigh. Not shocking for a Christmas-eve MacGuyvering, but still. :(

It's pretty clear I'm going to need to get replacement screws/bolts with nuts that are long enough eventually, but has anyone else dealt with this problem? I guess I'm looking for advice as well as commiseration.

-Rich

Go with a long machine screw and a fender washer on the inside with a nut, even then there isn't a lot to hold on to the lids are soft as there is sheet metal batten insulation and plastic. Kind of like screwing into a toasted sandwich, I would mount a thin board over the top or open the inside on the top and reinforce it with a couple of furring strips.

Back