Blue moon with orange clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Well sick with the flu and am in bed now bored. I bought ingredients for a recipie the other day and I'm just staring at them right now. Today would be the best day to brew I'm off work and it's really nice out for the first time in a week. Anyways I'm new to brewing software and all. I have two brews under my belt one in secondary and one in bottles but still have not tried either. Is there anything I should know about making this beer? I'll post recipe in a few. I'm nit good at figuring out the water situation for mash and batch sparge. I'll just have to figure that one out I guess. But I plan on just letting it sit in primary for a month and then bottle. Can you add extra orange peel? Or will it be to much?

4lbs flacked wheat
4.0 lbs pilsner
12oz Vienna
Saaz Czech pellets 1 oz @ 60 min
Coriander seed 1 oz @ 5 min
Sweet orange peel .5 oz @ 5 min
1 lbs rice hulls
Yeast is white labs belgin wit

Og 1.044-1.052

Fg 1.008-1.012

Mash at 154 for 60 mins if possible a step rest of 15 mins @ 122 f

Boil for 90 mins

Ferment @ 68- 75 starting low and raising high over time.

I have a ten gallon boil pot and a 42 quart cooler. I batch sparge

Does this sound okay? : total water 8.30 gallons

Mash 3.10 gallons
Sparge 5.20

I did 1oz of sweet orange, when i sampled it it seemed like a little to much orange but its for the SWMBO. About to try it this weekend, its been fermenting for 7 days but want to speed it up and try it to see how it is. Dont have a dual regs to force carb one and let the other carb regularly by itself.

Edit: I did a 5 gal Extract batch.

I just did a 5 gallon extract orange witbier using 1oz of dried peel. The orange scent/taste starts off really strong, but it mellows pretty nicely as it ages..

Mine went through the whole process incredibly fast - I was going to make a post here about it actually. It got to the FG it was supposed to (1.010) after a week of fermentation, so I bottled it and it carbed up in 5 days. It's still kind of sharp after another couple weeks, but definitely drinkable.

I have a Blue Moon-style beer that's ready for drinking and I used 1 oz bitter orange peel and 2 oz sweet orange peel based on trials done by other people on these forums (see the 'Blue Moon Clone' thread that currently has 52 pages).

Anyway, I haven't compared this side-by-side with commercial Blue Moon, but I think 3 oz is too much. It's not a bad tasting beer, but I think 1-2 oz sweet orange peel and no bitter orange peel would be better. Good luck.

Back