meade finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
I have a mead that was started on 5/23. 14# of super dark raw honey, 5 gallons water and lalvin 1118 yeast. OG was 1.107.

Doesn't seem to be any more activity and the hydrometer has read 1.016 for some time now. Is it possible that this mead has finished? With that yeast I find it hard to believe...

How long is "some time now"? How does it taste? 1.016 should be semi-sweet, about 12% abv. By BJCP standards, that's a Standard Semi-Sweet mead. If you want it drier, maybe some champagne yeast. I think if it were me (I happen to like semi-sweet), I'd go ahead and add my potassium sorbate, maybe let it bulk age, or at least make sure everything has settled out, then bottle and enjoy!

It tastes damn good! :) It has been sitting at that gravity for over a month now and the wine is clear as a bell. I was just under the impression that with ec-1118 it would ferment out completely dry. It is essentially a champagne yeast is it not?

I'd say it depends on nutrients, dissolved CO2, and other lovely things that, given that the mead tastes good, don't particularly matter! :D As an agricultural product dependent upon living organisms, you might not always get a perfect result. So I say, bottle it up and enjoy!

That said, do make sure to stabilize the mead to prevent future accidental fermentation in the bottle. It'd be a shame to come home to a bug infestation and sticky floors!

Thats awesome. My recent Pyment using 1118 had an OG a tad higher than that, and I had to cold crash and stabilize to keep it around 1.020 and it tastes harsh and probably will for a year. Maybe consider this a lucky exception to the norm when using 1118?

Thats awesome. My recent Pyment using 1118 had an OG a tad higher than that, and I had to cold crash and stabilize to keep it around 1.020 and it tastes harsh and probably will for a year. Maybe consider this a lucky exception to the norm when using 1118?

lucky exception indeed. good luck with yours.

Back