Keggle Lids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I'd like to find some good lids for my keggles -- especially my MLT. Has anyone found a suitable lid? Preferably attractive.

Depending on how you cut your holes any standard 12" cooking lid should suffice. If you want really pretty, take a look at 12" copper lids, but keep in mind you could probably better spend that money on ingredients. (They are pricey).

A very cheap, but not so atractive option is to use 12 inch aluminun pizza pans. They fit decent enough. If the lid is too tight than boil overs are a real problem. The nice thing about the pizza pan is that you can bend one side of it if you need to let out some heat. Once it's bent too much and ugly looking, just buy a new one for 50 cents.

I found some large SS mixing bowls in the Dollar store and put a cabinet knob in the bottom (top). I like the dome shape lids because if condensation builds up on the inside, it rolls down the "bowl" and to the outside of the keggle. You can kinda see them in my gallery picture of my 3-tier rig.

This is what I ended up getting. I need to use an Amazon gift certificate and took a chance on it fitting. It fits perfectly.

Faber 12inch SS lid

Last edited by a moderator:
A very cheap, but not so atractive option is to use 12 inch aluminun pizza pans. They fit decent enough. If the lid is too tight than boil overs are a real problem. The nice thing about the pizza pan is that you can bend one side of it if you need to let out some heat. Once it's bent too much and ugly looking, just buy a new one for 50 cents.

You should never cover your boiling wort - you need the DMS to escape

The lid from my cheap-o 5 gallon SS pot fits my keggle hole perfectly. I use the keggle for the boil, and cover it until the boil starts. This gets the boil going quicker, and I then boil uncovered.

Ikea Lids Are nice and super cheap I paid 7 bucks a piece and got 3...they sell them in 11, 13..and a couple other sizes i did not see 12" though! real nice with the center being glass...I got lucky

I have lids for my kettles, but I never use them. Seemed like a good idea at the time though. You can buy lids of almost any size at a restaurant supply house. It's best to buy the lid first and cut the hole in the keg to match.

go to a restaurant supply store... i brought 12.5 inch lids.. aluminum for cheap... 3 of them..

I have lids for my kettles, but I never use them. Seemed like a good idea at the time though. You can buy lids of almost any size at a restaurant supply house. It's best to buy the lid first and cut the hole in the keg to match.

Your probably using something else to mash in...I want a direct fire MT...and a lid really cuts down on the propane/gas to heat up your strike water not to mention Time!

Your probably using something else to mash in...I want a direct fire MT...and a lid really cuts down on the propane/gas to heat up your strike water not to mention Time!

No, I mash in a 10 gallon Polarware kettle most of the time, but sometimes I use my converted keg if I am brewing a large batch of high gravity. I'm running a direct fired RIMS too. The HLT is an Ice Cube cooler that I heat with a bucket heater, so it has a built in lid. I like to be able to see what's going on in the mash tun. I'm sure I use a little more fuel heating the mash tun without a lid, but it's probably only a minor amount as the flame level under the mash is normally very low. I have the HLT bucket heater on a timer and I heat the strike water along with the sparge water. Both are ready to go when I start the day. I really thought that lids would be a necessity, but for me they are not.

Maybe one day i will not find the need for lids as they probably don't help all that much as catt mentioned...anyhow it gave me an excuse to lug around the girlfriend searching for lids all day which is always fun for her...She was a good sport and wont complain when drinking my beer!

I use a lid on my keggle when cooling the wort.

That is the one time that I do sometimes use a lid, especially when I brew outdoors where the the risk of bugs etc possibly dropping into the kettle is fairly high. If I remember to, that is. I wait until the temp has dropped considerably before covering the kettle as DMS can still be an issue if steam is still coming off the wort.

That is the one time that I do sometimes use a lid, especially when I brew outdoors where the the risk of bugs etc possibly dropping into the kettle is fairly high. If I remember to, that is. I wait until the temp has dropped considerably before covering the kettle as DMS can still be an issue if steam is still coming off the wort.

True doesn't help much when you have hoses coming out from an immersion chiller! that's when i resort to Tin Foil...It keeps those bees and other creatures out of my beer!

I'm going to add that aluminum covered bubble wrap insulation to my boil keggle and HLT keggle (both electric).

I wonder if that stuff would make good lids? It's flexible, like foil, but is insulating too. Cutting notches for hoses or heat sticks would be simple.

:confused:

Without any further delay here is what i found...God Bless Ikea

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

All,

I just got off the phone with the Ikea store in Seattle, WA. Seams they are a franchise store and not a company store. They bend the rules on shipping.

GillandCo was going to send me one as a test and I was going to paypal him the 8.99 plus shipping. UPS ground from him to me was over 22.00 for one lid. THANKS for being willing to do that.

Ikea Seattle is shipping all three to me (WTF) for $12.00 total S&H.

Catch is that since they are glass the shipping risk in on me. Same set-up if i was to get GillandCo to send it. I will keep ya posted. I told the chic to "Bubble wrap the crap out of them" she giggled and said yes sir.

Simphoto02 How did those lids work out...I been meaning to ask you? Did the sparge arm through the glass work.

I received the lids yesterday and WOW. The fly sparge whirlygig as Lonnie puts it fi through the hole in the lid for the handle with a little food lube on the rubber gasket it seams to work great. I was able to drill the stainless on the outer edge for the valve and what not...

Fly Sparger Thingy
IMG_0674.JPG

Re-Circ Arm in Mash Tun
IMG_06751.JPG

Damn you may have to post a DIY of that sparge arm of yours...you may have just converted a batch sparge enthusiast. Thanks for the pics and im glad it worked out!

It also looks like you to flipped the lid over on its bottom side...Correct?

I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but at Walmart they sell lids that are 1 size fits all. I think I bought mine for like $10.

Back