Omitted hops....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasbek

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale and accidentally missed cascade addition (1 oz) with 10 mins left of boil. Would adding it to primary after 7 days work or should I do a secondary and dry hop then, or should I just chalk up to experience and read instructions more carefully in future?

It won't be the same -- you'll be adding aroma, rather than flavor, and you'll be missing some bitterness -- but it won't hurt (and will help) to dry hop in your primary after fermentation is over.

If you want to get close to the original recipe then you might consider using a hop "tea". Should be info here on HBT on how to do this. It is easy and I've used it successfully for a missed hops addition before.

It will probably be tasty dry hopped too, but just a little different than planned.

Couldn't find anything on hop tea. Could I just boil the hops for 10 minutes in a couple of pints of water and add to fermenter? Is there a best or worst time to do that? ASAP? After fermentation is complete? Thanks

Couldn't find anything on hop tea. Could I just boil the hops for 10 minutes in a couple of pints of water and add to fermenter? Is there a best or worst time to do that? ASAP? After fermentation is complete? Thanks

It is here on HBT and/or other forums. Would post a link but sending from my phone and its a pain to search and post here.

Basically you make a hop tea just using water and hops. I used a french press as have others you will find. This makes it easy to deal w the hops trub.

Not timing critical I dont think. You might even get a bit more hops flavor if you wait till primary ferm is done because ferm activity can reduce some flavor compounds.

Thanks Curtis! I was thinking of getting an extra oz of cascade and making the tea with 2oz. Would this be too much or help make up for the first mistake?

Thanks Curtis! I was thinking of getting an extra oz of cascade and making the tea with 2oz. Would this be too much or help make up for the first mistake?

At such low water volumes efficiency is going to be very low so I would expect that you will need to use more hops than the orginal recipe but dont know exactly how much more. I would play around w the calculations (much easier w software) to get a more precise number. If you want to add IBUs then water temp will need to be neer boiling temps for some number of minutes (I expect a bit longer than the original 10). I have an insulated french press which worked well for this.

One issue I've heard of in using hop tea is getting a bit of a grassy taste. Can also be problem when dry hopping. You might go a bit conservative on the first attempt to minimize this risk.

Back