Gouda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ugh. I already had my milk warming up and realized I didn't buy that gouda mould after all.

I have an 8" Tomme mold that worked fine. Here's some pics of the cheese pressing, brining, and drying in my little drying drawer.

I forgot to add annatto until about 1 minute after I added the rennet. By then, the milk was already forming curds. So, I just added the annatto after I cut the curds, and the result is that mottled look you see there in the last picture.

I'll age a few months at least, then open and update if the dog doesn't eat it first.

_mg_0548-65634.jpg

_mg_0549-65633.jpg

_mg_0551-65632.jpg

Wow that's quite a press you got there! Just want to say I have been really enjoying reading your cheese posts. I am really into cheese (heck being Italian I put cheese on cheese!) and my wife has even made mozzarella before. We want to start making other kinds and your posts have been very inspiring. The cheese you make looks fantastic and we are going to invest in some equipment in the near future and give it a try. By the way I also love a good cup of coffee and your roasting thread has given me some ideas as well. Thanks for all the pictures too!

John

Wow that's quite a press you got there! Just want to say I have been really enjoying reading your cheese posts. I am really into cheese (heck being Italian I put cheese on cheese!) and my wife has even made mozzarella before. We want to start making other kinds and your posts have been very inspiring. The cheese you make looks fantastic and we are going to invest in some equipment in the near future and give it a try. By the way I also love a good cup of coffee and your roasting thread has given me some ideas as well. Thanks for all the pictures too!

John

Hi John! I've got a spare press. Come and borrow it if you like.

Back