Using Yeast from Previous Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewess

Reaction score
I have had great luck using the left over yeast from one batch to make the next. I just bottle and then add the new wort to the carboy without cleaning it out.

Question: Has anyone done this multiple times, using the same yeast at the bottom of the carboy over and over? I have only dared recycle one rotation and have been told that it doesn't work a third time.

oh boy, did you open a can of worms!!!!

It's commonly done (called pitching on the cake) and we've had some boisterous discussions on this practice lately.

I'll find a few links to show you what I mean. Here's one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/ and of course the "related threads" at the bottom of this page.

I have done it in the past, and it worked well. I followed the practice of lower OG beer to high OG beer, as was recommended at that time. Lately, I've been practicing yeast washing and that seems to give better and more predictable results.

yeah, pitching on the cake will work, but you might overpitch on a lighter gravity beer. I wash all my yeast and it has worked out great for a couple years now.

I've washed yeast from two batches so far, and it's so easy that I've just decided that's the way to go.

Pitching on a cake doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but it might be fine. I have no idea.....

Latest posts

Back