Hops Dying from Top down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCE

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a small Nugget Rhizome on 2/27/09 and planted it in a half barrel and it has been growing happily since(or so I assumed)until a few days to a week ago...
I have been giving it the care that it needed per the instructions and from reading on here and other sources and it is about 2 foot tall now.
About a week ago the very top tip of the new growth has died...It almost looks rotted but I'm not sure if that is what it is or not and I am not sure what would have caused it?
The rest of it looks healthy except for the very bottom leaf which is yellow,all other leaves look good.

I called the nursery that I got it from and they couldn't help other then that if I bring it in they will replace it but since I bought it as a Rhizome I assume that's what they will replace it with and I am then out 3 months worth of growth.

Any Ideas as to what may be going on with it? Can I correct it and still get a healthy vine or should I pull it and start from the beginning?

Any help will be greatly Appreciated
Thank You
Les

if you damage the tip of the bine, it will stop growing.... not to worry though... there may be other sprouts below ground that will grow. I'd order another rhizome to be safe, but let the original be for a while... water it daily and continue to take care of it.

Most of the energy produced the first year goes into developing the root system. So if it's still green, let it grow. next year, there should be many shoots coming up. My fuggles (2nd year) had over 90 shoots.

Needs more water. Not necessarily a drowning of water, but another moderate water in between waterings, especially if you live in a hot dry climate.

Oh yeah, more water!
Keep the soil moist. It is too early for bugs to be destroying your crop.
Also, give it some food.
The laterals that are below the tip will actually turn into new verticals, no joke. So don't worry about it and keep the thing moist.

Thanks for the replys everyone.
I never would have guessed under-watering with the top dieing out and looking(being) rotted.
The bottom leaves being a bit yellow I thought was a feed deficiency so I had recently given it some Triple 16 Fertilizer.
I will continue to water it and step up watering to everyday and see if I see any improvement.

How long does it usually take for more shoots to emerge?
I knew when I bought it I should have bought another as backup :(

I Appreciate the help
Thank You
Les

The top will "burn" if it's not getting enough water(plant pumping water to the top) and yes, yellow color to the leaves is another indication. Half way through the the season the leaves may turn but that's okay.
Not sure what your climate is like, but we're in the mid 80's now and the hops get water everyday for about 10-15 minutes total. When the temps are in the 100's and cones are developing, watering everyday is a MUST and times range around 1 hour total each day.

Thanks CentralWABrewing,
I have stepped up watering and have started to see some new growth as you mentioned earlier.
I've just got to get the hang of when and how much to water with it being in a container?
I'm Coastal Northern California In Humboldt County... The weather has been on the cooler side for the time of year but will hopefully start warming up here shortly. Its been around the high 60's low 70's and cooler nights. Temps. can reach 120 regularly throughout summer but average around high 90's low 100's

I Appreciate the help

make sure to have some holes so the water will drain if its in a container ( i just used a screw driver to do this). i been watering mine about 1 quart water for every 2 gallons soil. ( central Massachusetts)

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to say Thanks again for the help. I have changed my watering routine and the whole plant has just exploded with growth.
Even with all the reading I have done I didn't realize the water needs of Hops...I also grow Bananas and they like a lot of water and Fert. so I have put the Hops on the same schedule as the Nanas.

And 78kombi,
I Have Holes Drilled in all of my Half Barrels so no worries about drainage.

Thanks again Everyone All your help is much Appreciated
Les

Back