Apple/Cider taste in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKern

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been home brewing for over a year and have about 10 batches under my belt. I brew partial mash batches and use a 5 gallon Igloo cooler for a mash tun. I usually fill my mash tun with specialty grains and base malt and only have to use a few pounds (2-4lbs) of liquid extract at the end of my boil to make up for the rest of my fermentables.
The last two batches I brewed have a distinct apple or cider smell and taste. The longer I age the beer the less you can taste and smell the apple. The two beers I had this issue with were an ESB and an American Wheat.
My fermentation temps were a little low on these beers, about 60 degrees F.
I don't really know what caused this smell and taste, I hit all my marks with OG and FG and efficiency.
Has anyone had this issue in the past or know what the causes this apple smell. Is this a contamination issue? A fermentation issue? Mash temp, boil?
Any tips or pointers would be helpful here. I'll post my recipes if that'll be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
The Kern

I've had this problem with 3-5 of my last 10 brews. I think it occurs from a rushed fermentation in the bottle, e.g. too much priming sugar. I think using malt extract to prime at a lower carbonation at 70 degrees for three weeks + might take care of that weird tannic apple froth alcohol flavor. Maybe no primer at all.

usually the apple-y taste comes from higher temp fermentations. it can also come from too many simple sugars in the recipe, i.e. corn sugar/dextrose. i've also noticed a slight, apple-y aftertaste in lighter beers bottled with corn sugar, and have been using extra light DME to prime my bottled beer.

what yeast did you use with these and how long did you leave in the primary? if you used the yorkshire yeast for the ESB, it can give off a lot of apple notes

Latest posts

Back