What BJCP Category for an Amber Rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meschaefer

Reaction score
I was filling out a competition entry form for my Amber Rye, and started second guessing my self on the category. Other than the fact that it has about 20% Rye, the beer fits nicely into the American Amber Category (10b). SG, SRM, IBU all fit the style. I brewed it as an Amber, just with a healthy Rye addition.

But when I was double checking the style guidelines, I was thinking that the Rye addition might call for the Specialty cater gory (23)?

Any thoughts?

TIA

Enter it in both categories if you can detect enough spiciness and flavor from the rye. If there is little, then just go with the Am Amber category.

I would go specialty. You'll probably get pinged on it in Amber but it might be worth it to see if the judges can pick out the rye.

Enter it in both categories if you can detect enough spiciness and flavor from the rye. If there is little, then just go with the Am Amber category.

That was my first thought to, but I only have two bottles left. So I have to choose, on or the other.

I would go specialty. You'll probably get pinged on it in Amber but it might be worth it to see if the judges can pick out the rye.

I am leaning towards specialty, because the rye is really easy to discern. My problem is that I have never thought of it as a "rye", I think of it as an Amber with a rye kick.

Sometimes sticking a label on, takes all the fun out of it.

Call it an amber. The guideline say you can add specialty malts to add character and uniqueness. the american amber is kindof about uniqueness just like all the american styles.

I would go Amber and call it an American Rye-Amber Ale. Let the judges know it is there, it will still fit the style.

Back