British Brown Ale Winter Blues Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matchrocket

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP005
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
18 (SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Smooth, malty. Slight roast undertones and hints from plumb from Special B.
This beer is a staple around my house, and vanishes very quickly. Wife calls it the "Panty Dropper" Assume 93% Efficiency, adjust %'s accordingly:

10.5 Gallons

13lbs Marris Otter Crisp
2lbs Caramunich I
0.5lb Chocolate (350, BRIESS)
0.5lb Special B.

Mash @ 152 for 60m.

Boil for 90m.

8.5 AAU Target @ 90m.
2.1 AAU Fuggles @ 30m
Whirflock / Nutrient at 15m.

WLP005 Drops out quickly and cleanly without a secondary fermentation. I go straight from Primary to keg.

I've made countless gallons of this beer over the years, making small tweaks along the way , but this recipe is a keeper and has been hard to keep on tap. I've done 5 batches of it this way so far.

This beer responds very well to different yeast strains, and would suggest splitting it if doing 10 gallons using WLP002 for the other half (Wyeast: 1318 / 1098). I prefer a little more of the roast character in my browns. I've made this a few times with half as much Chocolate and its still great, but not the same.

Sounds like high praise from your wife! The only thing mine might reluctantly call a panty dropper is chloroform....

I've never seen a recipe with the hops listed in AAU measurement. I think I have figured out, but does approx 1oz of Target and 1/2oz Fuggles sound about right (depending on specific AA of course)?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

... The only thing mine might reluctantly call a panty dropper is chloroform....

LOL, never considered it that way. It was more along the lines of easy drinking, can have "too many"...

I do all my recipes in AAU. Hop yields vary year-2-year and I'm looking for more consistency in my staple beers. Cascade comes to mind, I've seen almost 50% less Alpha from the year prior.

AAU is OZ * Alpha Acid. So to go backwards, its AAU / Alpha = OZ.

From my last brew day:

0.80 oz Target [10.70 %] - Boil 90.0 min
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min

Is this a 10g batch? And are the malt units in lbs? Or kilos?

Awesome. It's pretty close to the reaper 'a mild recipe that I was gonna try, but this grain bill matches my grain supply a bit better . Gonna try this this weekend!

How do I change the grain bill to account for estimated 75-80% efficiency? This is only my second AG batch, my first was 75% and I now have my own grain mill and am shooting to up the efficiency to 80%

Also if I can get my hands on the hops, I am going to use pacific gem instead. Also have cars stab instead of caramunich.

How do I change the grain bill to account for estimated 75-80% efficiency? This is only my second AG batch, my first was 75% and I now have my own grain mill and am shooting to up the efficiency to 80%

Weight Percent
13 81%
2 13%
0.5 3%
0.5 3%

Total Weight 16
Total Percent 100%

In Beersmith, you can add the ingredients, (1lb each) then adjust %'s to the above. Adjust as needed for you brewhouse efficiency.

Latest posts

Back