oops... brewed in the sun--skunk brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosbrewing

Reaction score
So I was about 55 min into my 60 min boil of an IPA, enjoying the first warm, sunny day I'd seen in about 6 months when it occurred to me that the sun had been beating down on my hop-heavy IPA for an hour.

Did I skunk my beer? I guess I could call it Pepe-le-Brew?

You're worry for nothing...we all brew outdoors in the sun, and our beer turns out fine.....If you leave your carboy or bottles out that's a different story....but don't worry.

:mug:

So I was about 55 min into my 60 min boil of an IPA, enjoying the first warm, sunny day I'd seen in about 6 months when it occurred to me that the sun had been beating down on my hop-heavy IPA for an hour.

All is well. Your airlock will be humming the "Copacabana" before you know it.:mug:

UV does not hurt wort, only beer. The beer won't skunk without yeast, has to do with riboflavin catalyzing the reaction, that is produced by the yeast.

Riboflavin riboflavin: see coenzyme; vitamin. riboflavin
or vitamin B2

Yellow, water-soluble organic compound, abundant in whey and egg white. It has a complex structure incorporating three rings. , a compound produced by yeast during fermentation, absorbs energy from light at wavelengths of 350 to 500 nanometers (nm). It transfers the energy to iso-alpha acids, the compounds that give beer bitterness. They then release free radicals--small, unstable chemical fragments--that react with sulfur compounds produced by the yeast. The result is the offending thiol

A skunk walks into a bar ... fighting beer's fouler flavors. - Free Online Library

It is ruined...

You forgot the punchline... "send it to me for proper disposal!"

The beer's fine. Can't remember if it's that you need alcohol or you need the hops to be isomerized for skunking to occur, but there's no issue whatsoever with brewing in the sun.

You mean I have been brewing in the shade all this time for NOTHING :D

That was a good question though. I can see myself thinking the same thing if I had done something similiar.

Is it only UV light that skunks beer or does household lighting also damage it ?

I have my bottles conditioning in complete darkness under the stairs. Is that overkill ?

Is it only UV light that skunks beer or does household lighting also damage it ?

It's only UV light, which exists to some degree even in househould lights. If your fermenter is indoors and away from windows, you're fine. If you want to be super paranoid, you can cover it up with a t-shirt.

hoosbrewing said:

Or you could call it Heineken. Wait, that one might be taken.

Cheers. Thanks for all of the input folks. I shall worry no more.

What would I do without this forum? Ah yes...I'd actually be productive at work. :mug:

would a high temp when i pitch the yeast skunk it at all?

i was a little tipsy when brewing and forgot the whole, chill the wort part. the good thing is i did a partial boil, and the yeast survived. it's been fermenting in the basement at about 63 degrees for 3 weeks. i just took a hydrometer reading to see if i can rack tomorrow (it's very cloudy) and tasting the sample, it was a tad skunky.

I'm brewing the kolsch kit from NB.

i bought some isinglass to hopefully help clarification in the secondary.

I brew indoors, at night. The sun skunks me ;/

+1....I don't have an AG system yet, so I am banished to cooking in the kitchen doing PM's and pissing off SWMBO :(

Someone wanna donate to the "Justin needs to switch to all-grain" fund? :)

Back