Strainer Bags for Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I want to do some dry hopping and have a question about using strainer bags in the secondary. Should these bags (Disposable type) be soaked in Santizier solution prior to loading with pellet or whole hops and entering the secondary, I just want to make sure I don't put something that could cause bacteria into the secondary...

Thanks for the advice...

I boil the empty bags in water for a few minutes, takes care of any nasties. That said i don't use them for glass carboy's anymore, they swell up and are a ***** to get out. Hops go straight in from now on.

sanitize the bag for sure, if you use one.

I don't use a bag when I dry hop. The pellets go straight in. I use a strainer bag tied around my auto siphon when I rack to a keg or bottling bucket. It keeps the hop sludge out of the beer.

In fact just got done kegging a SN Torpedo type of beer a couple of hours ago. Strainer bag worked like a charm. Clear beer is all that came out!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Great, thanks for the insight... I did not think of that issue... I guess both have there positive and negatives.

Back