Hybrid Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this in another forum...as soon as I figure out how to delete it I'll do it. It's better suited here.

I just kegged a Brit Ale and primed it with a packet of sugar, hit it with a quick blast of Co2 and disconnected the corney and left it in the fridge. It occured to me 10 days is ok (better than bottling) but what would happen if you went with a hybrid approach? For instance, connected a young "primed keg" up to the co2 system/tap tower before the natural carbing started? Does the beer end up over carbed in the end or does it just speed the process up more?

First, since you are using priming sugar, you should not keep the keg in the fridge. Put the keg wherever you fermented the beer, since the yeast need to do their work, they'll need that temperature. It might be different for a lager, I don't personally know, but since you said it's an ale, just put the keg where the fermenter was.

To answer your question: I would imagine you'd end up with some sweeter beer if you decided to just force carb now. The yeast, being dormant due to the cold conditions, won't convert the sugar (or will do so ever so slowly), so you'll end up drinking the excess sugar. I doubt it'll end up over-carbed.

First, since you are using priming sugar, you should not keep the keg in the fridge. Put the keg wherever you fermented the beer, since the yeast need to do their work, they'll need that temperature. It might be different for a lager, I don't personally know, but since you said it's an ale, just put the keg where the fermenter was.

To answer your question: I would imagine you'd end up with some sweeter beer if you decided to just force carb now. The yeast, being dormant due to the cold conditions, won't convert the sugar (or will do so ever so slowly), so you'll end up drinking the excess sugar. I doubt it'll end up over-carbed.

Thanks for the guidance. I just pulled the keg out of the fridge...I didnt even think about it until after you said it. I know better than sticking new bottles in the fridge...what was I thinking? :drunk:

I'll wait for it to carb naturally. I'm not in a rush. Thanks for the help.

You're very welcome. When it's all carbed up, stick it in the fridge to "cold crash" it. Then, you'll find your first pint or two will be mostly dead yeast...so be expecting that. After that, it should be clear beer the whole way!

Back