Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far so good.

Just had a minor freak out moment when I tested the gravity of my preboil wort and it came out at 1.02

I then quickly realized the tempature had something to do with that. Took the temp of the sample came back at 139

Used a calc and found out my pre boil Gravity was in the 1.32-1.33 range. My target was 1.33.

p4060419-65425.jpg

@ weeks in the keg and ready for some lawn mowing. Really is a great easy drinker!

just got all the stuff yesterday for this. Hopefully brewing this sunday! Doing it so i can test the new water where i just moved to...

Man, I've never had a beer change so much during bottle condition.

Gravity sample, tasted like white wine. Gross!
1 week in the bottle- yeasty and weird.
3 weeks- uhhhh, fantastic!!

Ready to brew it again!

Brewed up a close version of this. Only had half a lb of carapils and subbed c20 for c10. No Vienna so I used 7.5 lbs 2 row. Kept the hop schedule the same and used us05 instead of notty.

Basically a much lighter version of pale ales and ipas I brew. Centennial and cascade are one of my favorite hop combinations. Best thing is this brew only cost me about $12

So far so good.

Just had a minor freak out moment when I tested the gravity of my preboil wort and it came out at 1.02

I then quickly realized the tempature had something to do with that. Took the temp of the sample came back at 139

Used a calc and found out my pre boil Gravity was in the 1.32-1.33 range. My target was 1.33.

Careful putting a cold hydrometer in hot wort. It can shatter and ruin a beer.

Second batch I've brewed of this and I'm sure it's not my last. The beer clears up super well!

p.s. why are my pictures all sideways!

IMG_3986.JPG.jpg

This may have been asked...but for the 10 gallon batch, is one pkg of yeast still enough for both? I realize it's a light grain bill, but my local HBS recommended 2. Just trying to figure out for future recipes. Thanks - just stuck 11 gallons in the fermenter last night.

I just did the 11 gal batch. OG was 1.041. Used one pack of Nottingham as in the original post. Rehydrated and it took off quickly and finished at 1.005.

Two won't hurt you, but the OP had it right.

I started at .041 as well and finished at .006 with just 1 pack rehydrated

Nottingham is not your grandmothers yeast!

Using two packs only makes you beer more expensive.

Dry yeast is cheap. Use two and you definitely do not need to rehydrate. My time is worth the extra couple of dollars in cost...

Dry yeast is cheap. Use two and you definitely do not need to rehydrate. My time is worth the extra couple of dollars in cost...

There is literally 0 extra time in rehydrating your yeast as it can be done during the brewing process. And cheap is a very relative term... I wonder how many guys working a minimum wage job ($9 here in FL) think spending another $3-4 on a pack of Nottingham is worth working an extra 30 minutes...

Thanks @Biermuncher for sharing your creations with us here on HBT. This is the first of your beers I have tried to brew and am pleased with it.

It came in a bit stronger than planned at 1.045 despite my reducing my grain bill. Well within the style and an easy drinkin' beer nonetheless. Thanks again BM. Much appreciated. I can see why this recipe has almost 1 million views.

DSC02544.jpg

Tomorrow I am brewing my second batch. The first came out perfect for my neighbors who like the lighter stuff. All is weighted out and grains are crushed.

So my LHBS is out of Notti and looking to get this in the fermenter before they believe they will get any in....my question is what yeast could I possibly substitute?

I just tapped this keg and it is amazing.

What an outstanding recipe. Everyone loves it. Even none beer drinkers. Awesome.

So my LHBS is out of Notti and looking to get this in the fermenter before they believe they will get any in....my question is what yeast could I possibly substitute?

I would think S-05 would be just fine for this recipe.

Cheers!

Ended up going with my go to San Diego Super yeast. I'm making it for the BMC crowd at a wedding. I have a DIPA to brew for it too so will take this opportunity to collect some extra for that brew.

Thanks for the recipe BM.

Well i finally managed to get my gear assembled from last year and this was my first brew of 2015. Brewed a 11 gallon batch and amazingly achieved a 1.048 OG into the fermentor for a 84% effcienciency.

Had to brew this for the girls in the house that like a "light" beer. This was the lightest, least dark beer i've ever brewed. Odd to brew something so thin when I am used to doing big beers.

Fermentation is rocking at this time use a single packet of Nottingham. Will post the final results in a few weeks.

brewery.jpg

Chris

Sorry if this has been addressed already...

Has anyone dry hopped this with cascade at all?

I'm brewing 6 gallons of it this weekend and I should have some cascade leftover. I was thinking just a bit, maybe 0.25 to 0.5 oz, in secondary for a few days might add a nice touch. Then again, everything I've read leads me to believe this beer is pretty damn good already.

Sorry if this has been addressed already...

Has anyone dry hopped this with cascade at all?

I'm brewing 6 gallons of it this weekend and I should have some cascade leftover. I was thinking just a bit, maybe 0.25 to 0.5 oz, in secondary for a few days might add a nice touch. Then again, everything I've read leads me to believe this beer is pretty damn good already.

I have dry hopped it a few times with cascade. IMO it is best just to keep to the straight recipe. The beer is fantastic and well balanced as is. I though the dry hoped versions lost something...

Mine has been in bottles for just shy of two weeks.

Had my wife taste test it last night and she said it tasted bitter.

What could possibly have caused that. I didn't think it tasted bad but who knows

Mine was keged. The first week it had a Corona smell and left a bitter aftertaste in mouth. Wife hated it. Got much better in a few weeks. Corona smell gone but still does leave something slightly unpleasantness after swallowing. I don't mind the beer but wife still wont try it.

Give it some time.

Mine was keged. The first week it had a Corona smell and left a bitter aftertaste in mouth. Wife hated it. Got much better in a few weeks. Corona smell gone but still does leave something slightly unpleasantness after swallowing. I don't mind the beer but wife still wont try it.

Give it some time.

awesome. I think part of it is that my wife loves coors light. Not big on craft beers at all. Hopefully one more week in the bottle and it is rocking

Mine has been in bottles for just shy of two weeks.

Had my wife taste test it last night and she said it tasted bitter.

What could possibly have caused that. I didn't think it tasted bad but who knows

Coors lite is about 5 IBU so of course this at three (or four) times that will be bitter to her. IMO it isn't the beer, if your process was good.

Coors lite is about 5 IBU so of course this at three (or four) times that will be bitter to her!
It isn't the beer, if your process was good.

ya according to Brewers Friend my IBU for this brew was 24.99 so in that case of course it is going to be more bitter

Is there a commercially available beer that is similar to this that I can do a blind taste test with?

At 25 IBU with 4%abv, you made a session pale ale ;)
It is a flavorful blonde ale that is pretty unlike any commercial blondes. I often drop IBU's to 17-18 for this if BMC drinkers are gonna have at it.

At 25 IBU with 4%abv, you made a session pale ale ;)
It is a flavorful blonde ale that is pretty unlike any commercial blondes. I often drop IBU's to 17-18 for this if BMC drinkers are gonna have at it.

whats the difference between

IBU TInseth - 24.99

IBU Rager - 21.41

Is there a commercially available beer that is similar to this that I can do a blind taste test with?

Yes.

http://coopaleworks.com/beers/horny-toad-blonde/ - a very average blonde

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/deschutes-river-ale - an average to good blonde

I've made this 3 times. Once with S-04 and twice with S-05.
I like the S-05 better.
The best one was when I made it with 100% whole cone picked by me hops.

It has been good for me from day 1 to day last bottle.

Just finished brewing this tonight. OG wound up at 1.037. Used all as recommended but trying WLP090 San Diego SuperYeast. Will give all an update in a few weeks! Man i'm thirsty!

I brewed a ten gallon batch of this a couple of weeks ago. We have an IPA, a Stout, and a Pale Ale on tap at all times, and we thought this would be a good addition for our friends that wanted something a little lighter.

We just finished off the first five gallon keg, and I popped the second one into the cooler. This is a REALLY nice beer. Light, fresh, clean and clear. Very drinkable. It's nice to sit down in the afternoon and have a glass and not feel like you need a nap. Easy on the wallet, quick from grain to glass, and a very nice addition to our cooler.

My wife has given instructions to "keep this one on the schedule", so now it's part of our line up.

I did dry hop the second keg with an ounce of Simco, works for us.

Wlp 001 or us-05 would be good options IMO

I was a bit short on OG so added DME 2 days AFTER the boil as I couldn't get it any sooner. 6 days later it is down to 1.010 and tasking mitey fine. I will give it a few more days to try to get down a bit lower and then I am gona bottle this lovely brew. The Vienna gives this beer a really nice toast/biscuit flavor that I really savor.

Back