small cracks minor scratches in auto syphon/racking cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I have an auto syphon only been used a few times and i noticed that it has some small cracks and scratches..Does this mean its trashed?..How likely would it be for a racking cane/auto syphon in this condition to infect a batch?

If you clean it well in a hot PBW solution and use a properly mixed batch of Star-San you will probably be fine for a while. The acrylic plastic that is used for the auto-siphons tends to develop those micro cracks in hot water. Its not really a problem as I have had my auto-siphon for several years with micro cracks in it and I have not had an infected batch yet :knock on wood:. If it really bothers you, get a new one as they aren't very expensive. I do wish that they were made with a better plastic.

If you clean it well in a hot PBW solution and use a properly mixed batch of Star-San you will probably be fine for a while. The acrylic plastic that is used for the auto-siphons tends to develop those micro cracks in hot water. Its not really a problem as I have had my auto-siphon for several years with micro cracks in it and I have not had an infected batch yet :knock on wood:. If it really bothers you, get a new one as they aren't very expensive. I do wish that they were made with a better plastic.

Yeah its some delicate plastic..Im gonna make a copper autosyphon and buy the SS racking cane..suprised they make a SS racking cane but no SS auto syphon to go with it..frickn weird..any thanks for the input

Back