Last minute comments on hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
Brewing an IPA tonight. Grainbill is milled and set, so no changes there.

10lbs Marris Otter
1lb White Wheat
8oz Crystal 10

Planning on mashing at 154 for 60 mins. I know lots of folks recommend low mash temps for IPAs to dry them out, but my last 3 batches have been 149 or 150 and I want to experiment with a higher mash temp and see what it gets me.

The main question I have is my hop schedule. Right now it's:

1oz Chinook @ 60
1oz Columbus @ 5
1oz Centennial @ 5
1oz Columbus @ KO
1oz Citra @ KO
Dryhop with an oz each of Citra and Cascade.

I've also got an oz of Amarillo and an oz of Nugget at home.

Comments?

If you added an extra ounce of Amarillo to KO and dry hop I wouldn't say no. I really like my IPAs to have a hop nose the jumps out of the glass and grabs you.

Oldsock said:
If you added an extra ounce of Amarillo to KO and dry hop I wouldn't say no. I really like my IPAs to have a hop nose the jumps out of the glass and grabs you.

I've read your blog on your hoppy beers and was hoping for some insight. Extra oz at KO is done.

What a disaster. The blichmann hop blocker did not like the 5 oz of late hop additions. We had the ballvalve wide open and not a drop came out. We were forced to use a sanitized measuring cup to pour it into the carbon, where it sat outside all night until it cooled. Pitched 2 packets of US05 this morning. Fermenting currently, but I sure hope I didn't pick up any wild nastiness.

I vote dry hop with the nugget. I just made an all nugget pale ale and the beer was good going into the secondary, and fantastic smelling coming out. It had this sweet, perfumey, pungent and grassy smell. Imagine the smell of Bells Two Hearted but instead of citrusy perfume, just sweet perfume.

What a disaster. The blichmann hop blocker did not like the 5 oz of late hop additions. We had the ballvalve wide open and not a drop came out. We were forced to use a sanitized measuring cup to pour it into the carbon, where it sat outside all night until it cooled. Pitched 2 packets of US05 this morning. Fermenting currently, but I sure hope I didn't pick up any wild nastiness.

Sorry to hear. Maybe switch to whole hops assuming you were using pellets?

Well, it's not infected. However, all of my late hops were 10% aa+, and that wort sat nice and hot for a while while it cooled. It's so bitter it will turn your mouth inside out. Oh well, win some lose some.

Back