Glueing labels with milk question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrew66

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just a question about affixing my labels with milk.

I'm bottling my first batch tomorrow, and want to make a label. I thought I'd use a 3.5" x 5" avery label. Problem is it does not flip into landscape to make the label well in MS Word. Read I can use regular paper and affix with milk and want to know if it will affix it and waterproof it? Probably not.

I'm using MS word for now, and would love some input as to how someone has used it before for labels. Also, I'm using a inkjet printer which I'm sure the ink will run pretty bad.

Thanks for the help!

I tried using milk once and was not very happy with the results. The ink ran, and the labels didn't stick very well...when I stuck the bottles in the fridge, the labels came off. I went back to regular ol' printed labels with sticky backs.

I am not really sure what you mean about landscape mode. Are you using the templates in word for the labels? What I did was make my label as an image, then paste the image(s) into the respective cells on the template.

I tried using milk once and was not very happy with the results. The ink ran, and the labels didn't stick very well...when I stuck the bottles in the fridge, the labels came off. I went back to regular ol' printed labels with sticky backs.

I am not really sure what you mean about landscape mode. Are you using the templates in word for the labels? What I did was make my label as an image, then paste the image(s) into the respective cells on the template.

The avery template is set up for portrait (normal page setup), and the avery labels are set up for landscape (sideways). Made an image in portrait, but can't flip it to fit in landscape.

When you use the sticky back labels, did the ink run (assuming you are using an inkjet printer)?

You did it wrong.

You have to use a laser printer for the ink not to run.

I use regular printer paper through a laser printer.

I put about an ounce of milk on a small saucer plate, dip the blank side of the label in the milk, put it on the bottle and gently press down with a wetted (with milk) paper towel. Soak up any excess milk with a dry paper towel.

No running. Labels go in fridge just fine (had some labeled brews in there for weeks). I have labeled bottles on a shelf that have been there for over six months and the labels dont show a sign of wear and have not began to come off.

They dont stink either.

To get the labels off, just soak in water for a couple of minutes and they float right off with no residue.

:mug:

I have also used milk to put labels on. Just like MetallHed said. Milk on small plate, dip label in, affix to bottle. Then I use a wet paper towel (I use water) and smooth label out. Works fine. If you put the bottle in a cooler full of ice, they will come off when the ice starts melting. The main thing is using a laser printer instead of an ink jet printer.

I have also used milk to put labels on. Just like MetallHed said. Milk on small plate, dip label in, affix to bottle. Then I use a wet paper towel (I use water) and smooth label out. Works fine. If you put the bottle in a cooler full of ice, they will come off when the ice starts melting. The main thing is using a laser printer instead of an ink jet printer.

My issue is I have inkjet printer. I printed my labels on regular stock and affixed with a glue stick. Looks pretty good, but won't last when wet. I will probably end up taking my logo to Kinko's and have them print them up on a laser printer.

Downloaded GIMP and it seems like a cool program, just need to learn how to use it.

Putting labels on with milk is not rocket science, I know how to do it. I'm glad others haven't had trouble, but with mine when the bottles started sweating after I pulled them out of the fridge, the labels came right off. The same does not happen when I use the regular sticky labels.

I also use an inkjet. Didn't have problems with ink running unless I submerged the label in water (e.g. in a cooler of ice).

I am still confused about portrait vs landscape...I had no troubles in this regard.

Putting labels on with milk is not rocket science, I know how to do it. I'm glad others haven't had trouble, but with mine when the bottles started sweating after I pulled them out of the fridge, the labels came right off. The same does not happen when I use the regular sticky labels.

I also use an inkjet. Didn't have problems with ink running unless I submerged the label in water (e.g. in a cooler of ice).

I am still confused about portrait vs landscape...I had no troubles in this regard.

Concerning portrait. When I made the label, I did it down and dirty in MS Word. When I pulled up the avery label template, the cells were sideways compared to the label I made and couldn't cut and paste. Problem is, I can't rotate the graphic I made (tried everything), and can't make the label directly on the template as it is sideways. Tried to save as .pdf then convert to .jpeg and it doesn't size right and looks grainy when enlarged. Probably need to use a program like GIMP to have more graphic tools at my disposal.

1. Laser Printer.
2. Coat the back side fully but not to soggyness.
3. Allow to dry first.

Back