Half batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killian_77

Reaction score
I am just getting into home brewing. I think I would like to make half batches and experiment to get my feet wet. I guess the reason is that I want to narrow down a few recipes to get into rotation before I brew full batches. I have a few questions:

1. Is it just a matter of cutting all recipes in half?
2. Will the resulting flavors be the same?
3. Do you still do 60 min boils.
4. Do you pitch the same amount of yeast?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
Thanks for all of your help.
Killian

1. Yep
2. Yep
3. Yep.
4. Yes or no. If you're doing 2 batches at the same time, and using a flavor neutral yeast (Nottingham, S-04) you could split one packet of yeast into two batches to save a few bucks. You don't have to though, those yeast packets are designed to ferment 1-6 gallons, so one pack per batch would also be fine.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction. :mug:

That is good news. Thanks for the info. Now I have to find some recipes with similar ingredients:)

Well, Nottingham and S-04 yeasts are pretty much generic yeasts, as far as flavor is concerned. There are a few brews that I wouldn't want to use these yeasts on (a Hefe or a Wit probably) but other than that, I'd use those yeasts in just about anything.

Just my 2 cents.

I would use the same amount of yeast for better, cleaner fermentation. It has nothing to do with cutting recipes in half but everything to do with pitching the proper amount of yeast.

Back