Adding Coffee to a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iannacones1

Reaction score
I'm very new to home brewing and am preparing for my second batch, I've selected a Dry Irish Stout extract kit and want to make it a coffee stout. I've done some research and talked to a few people but I wanted to consult people with experience. What I'm really wondering is when to add it and how much?

C-Rider said:
Cold steep/brew your coffee and add it at bottling time to taste. Don't this twice worked fine each time.

How much coffee do you recommend? I saw somewhere 1cup per gallon, does that sound right?

a recipe in one of my books says to steep 8 oz of good coffee when you terminate the boil. I plan to do a breakfast stout in the future, and will do that for the coffee flavor.

I know someone who did a Russian imperial stout with a pound of Starbucks in a 5 gallon batch. He cold steeped it and I think added after flame out but I could be wrong on the time. I know it was a lb of coffee though.

+1 C-Rider.
I double brew some coffee and mix it with the priming sugar.
Example; If I use 2 scoops of coffee for a 2 mug pot, cut the water in half and brew. Then do the same again using the already brewed coffee instead of water. It is great. The coffee really comes through but also blends into the other flavours.

I did a dry stout and crushed 2 Oz of Starbucks komodo dragon and tossed it in at flameout. That was 2 1/2 years ago and its the only beer I've made that people keep on reminding me how good it was. It was Jamil's Dry Stout recipe and I didn't fine grind the roasted barley like the recipe said. When I say I crushed the coffee...I mean with a mallet...not a grain mill. I broke it into crumbles, fairly small but not anywhere close to grain crush.

use about 7 oz of ground coffee steeped in 2 qts of cold water for 24 hours. (it will be thick). Strain through a coffee filter and boil this 'coffee extract' with your priming sugar. Cool to 75 degrees then mix into your Bottling container like you normally would your priming solution then bottle! Super easy and works great!

Back