Foodsaver - poly bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to seal (not vacuum) non-foodsaver style plain poly bags/ tubes? Like what grain comes in from a brew shop. I'd like to order some but not sure what thickness the foodsaver will do without just melting them? Also any suppliers?

Thanks

I havent tried sealing non vacuum bags in my vacuum packer. I do however have an impulse sealer that I use for poly bags. I got it free from work, they were going to throw it out so I snagged it. I have seen them on ebay for between 10 and 100 dollars, they work great and once dialed in they work perfectly every time.

My foodsaver (the black one at BB&B...I think V3460) will heatseal the poly bags that my LHBS uses for grain. The LHBS heatseals them at the store with a two-foot wide heatsealer thing (doesn't vacuum either).

I think the idea is to actually melt them though...it's melting the two sides of the bag together to seal it.

I've heatsealed a lot of non-foodsaver bags...Tostitos, potato chips, etc. The only bag that hasn't worked so far is a pretzel stick bag. It's made of really loud crinkly plastic.

Latest posts

Back