Lancaster/Reading/Allentown PA grain group buy- Round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay guys, just got off the phone with NCM. Shipping will be $110 plus a $18.70 fuel surcharge which brings it to $3.06 per sack. I also have some good news, they are allowing us to to tier 2 pricing. I will work out all the totals for everyone hopefully tonight and get them PMed out. Does anyone know the PayPal rate these days?
Tom

If I'm looking at it right, it's 2.9% + $.30, which is actually a bit less then last time. Anyone want to verify this before I start sending totals out??
Tom

Doesn't look too crazy to me....someone else might want to put a second set of eyes on this, but to me it looks like 2.9% of the total being transferred + $.30. Again, someone else may want to take a look to back me up on that though.

Ok guys, I have everyones totals. I am at work now and don't want to send them out here. My black lab is currently at the vet with my wife and I have a feeling will need emergency surgery so I have no idea how my night will go. I will get these totals out to everyone asap, hopefully tonight but possibly tomorrow sometime.
Tom
ps. If you want to figure your total youself, feel free. However, DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY! Instead, PM me the total you came up with so I can be sure we are on the same page. Thanks.

Hey Tom,

Thanx for the update on the shipping @ $3.06 per sack, as well as the tier 2 pricing, all good news! I think you are correct about the PayPal fee, but I don't use it very often, but I'm sure you are very close.

I'll figure out my order estimate and PM you within 24 hours, realizing that my figures may not be the final #.

Do you think 12/4- Sat will be the pick-up date? I ordered a new digital shipping scale on Amazon this evening, that goes up to 150lb, and should be here by 11/30, so if all goes well I'll bring it along if it will help wieghing partials.

Finally, I'm sorry to hear that your Lab is ill/injured, and will say a healing prayer for a full recovery.

Jeff

Hey Jeff! A scale that goes to 150# would be sweet! Worse case scenario I have one as well, but it only goes to 11#. I appreciate the offer though if it arrives in time! That brings up another good point. If you have a partial sack order, be sure to bring some buckets for it. I still didn't get to PM any totals. I have a lot on my mind right now. the prognosis on our Lab does not look good. I will work on sending them out now.
Tom

Praying for your Lab, we had one pass a few months ago at only 7. Had cancer..

I won't be around the 4th. I'll be upstate hunting. I'll be back Sunday. If someone can grab mine I'd appreciate it. I'll most likely be in the Macungie area that Monday the 6th.

Hey bud, thanks for the prayers. I'm sure someone will take care of your grains. I work in Shoemakersville, just south of Hamburg. If it works for you I could just have them there for you. I sent totals out to five people and didn't get a chance to do anymore. I will hopefully do more tonight or tomorrow.
Tom

Ok everyones totals should be out to them via PM. If you did not get a PM from me, please let me know.
tom

Yeah, sorry John. I was sending PayPal info individually. For those that need it, PayPal addy is: BigDogRulzUply(at)msn(dot)com

Payment sent.

I know there were a few people who chose bethlehem as a pick-up location. If we could make some kind of arrangement or group pick-up for this area, I would be all for this.

beeber (Bill)

Hey Tom,

Just sent payment via PayPal, and received confirmation that it was sent.
Thanx again for your organizing efforts

Jeff

Ok guys, update time. Been getting a couple messages wondering what was going on. I'm still waiting to hear back from one person on payment details. If I don't hear from him by Monday night, I'll buy his sack so we can get the order placed Tuesday. If things go well, I'm planning to have the pick up next Saturday, the 4th. I got messages from two guys saying that date wouldn't work for them so i'm getting their grains for them. If this date does not work for you, please make arrangements with someone asap and PM me to let me know your plan. The couple other guys not marked as paid are due to various reasons, but they are all taken care of.
Tom

Okay, everyone is paid up except on money order I'm waiting on. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and we can get this thing under wraps.
Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanx for the updates on the group buy, sounds like it's a go!

I received my new digital shipping scale(150lb capacity), and will bring it along on 12/4 to help with the split sacks. I tested it out . and it is spot on.

Looking forward to next weekend.:mug:

Jeff

Update on the buy. I'm not sure the order will be placed today. I'm still waiting on a payment which isn't too big a deal. The bigger deal is that the money has not been transferred to my account from PayPal yet. Not sure if they problems during the holiday or what, but I transferred on Friday and I just got a confirmation lastnight that stated 3-4 days. Worse comes to worse I can place the order when the funds are transferred and we can do a weeknight pick up next week. I will keep you all informed on what happens.
Tom

Hey Tom.

Thanx for the update on the group purchase.

I hope this gets finished ASAP, as I and the rest of the good faith participants, that have promptly paid thier portion of the group purchase, are anxious to "get er done" !

You have done a good job organizing this once again.

The history of this group purchase is a bit slower, compared to the spring purchase. I feel the frustration, as all involved, and you must as well.

Initial orders, stall, and a flury at the end. Then most paid via PayPal, more stalling from the few that can't or won't use PayPal. Now it sounds like there is a stall in getting already paid funds from PayPal.

If there are future group purchases, maybe think about setting some criteria such as :
- We need to get a full pallet
- All orders must be confirmed
- Once all confirmations are received, individual bills will be sent out.
- PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL ONLY, NO CHECKS, MONEY ORDERS, CASH etc...
- Once PayPal funds are transfered, purchase will be made from NCM, based
based on the most popular delivery date for the group.

It looks like the current hold up is from payments that are slow and PayPal lag time. None is your fault.

If the 12/4 delivery date doesn't work out, I cannot pick up my share of the order on an evening, post 12/4 except for 12/7(Tuesday), 12/10/9(Friday), or 12/ 11( Saturday)

Actually, we do have a full pallet. NCM only ships 42 sacks per pallet. As for the payment issue, I'm not too worried about it. A lot of people don't have faith in PP and just will not use it. The last payment issue really wasn't about a PayPal issue, it was about life issues which we all have. It was not the last payment that held the order up. the individual who owed only owed a couple bucks, which I was going to cover for him. he was in the last buy with us and actually helped set up the drop off point last time. he just had some issues pop up and that is why the money was delayed. he did infact pay lastnight via PayPal, so all is well. The big issue with the buy this time around was me being extremely busy and the holiday getting in the way. I know how my schedual was the last month, now multiply that by 12 for the number of people in the buy. I personally have no problems waiting on checks or money orders as long as it's set up ahead of time. I also fully understand life gets in the way of things at times. thats half the reason my life has been hell this past month.

Now, on to better news. the money was deposited into my account this morning. I didn't bring our check card information with me to work cause I didn't really think the money would go in today. My wife is going to get the numbers to me and the order will be placed today at some point, the sooner the better. however, life threw another curveball to me today. our 5 year old son has a double ear infection this morning and has to go to the doctor. As soon as my wife can, she is going to get me the info I need, but getting to the doctors is the first thing on her "to-do" list this morning. oldfart- I see the dates you mentioned will work with you. I am still hoping we can get this delivered for Friday. When I get the order placed, I'll be able to know.
Tom

ps. my wife just gave me the info, I just didn't feel like editing!

Okay, another update. NCM seems to want all their orders e-mailed in to them. I e-mailed them around noon today on my lunch break. I got a reply back around 1:30-2 asking if our delivery location had a dock or if we needed a liftgate. I prompty e-mailed back (I get my e-mails on my phone) and got no other responce throughout the day. If I don't hear from them tomorrow morning, I am going to call them directly. None-the-less, I don't see anyway the order will make it to us for Saturday. I will find out more tomorrow and see what they say. Seems nothing is going too smoothly this time around and I am really sorry about that.
Tom

And yet another update. I e-mailed NCM this morning to see how our order was doing. I got a reply within minutes saying our quote should be ready later in the morning. Got another e-mail around 12:30 with our quote. I looked everything over quickly and all was well. I e-mailed back within minutes saying the order looked great, asked if they still had my card on file that ended in blah blah blah, and asked if she had an estimnated day of delivery and I got no responce all day. Not sure if they are extremely busy or if their customer service is going down maybe just for us homebrewers, but this is getting annoying. If nothing seems to come to a head tomorrow, I'm just going to call them and see what I can do. Once again, sorry for all this. hopefully the next message I post will be that the order is placed and a delivery date.
Tom

GRAINS ARE ORDERED!!! They are supposed to ship out Monday and be delivered Tuesday. I am at work now so can't get too in depth, but start posting up dates that work for a pick up. I will post sepcific directions tonight on where the pick up will be.
Tom

Okay, for the pick up location this is where it will be. the Sherwin Williams is located in a strip mall. the stores go straight andthen stop and there is another set of stores that angle a bit. the Sherwin Williams is the end store of the "straight" stores. between the straight and angled stores there is a gap. You cannot drive through this gap, but in the rear of the Sherwin Williams between the two stores is the loading dock we will be using. you will have to get to the rear of the stores in that strip mall. All the way on the oppsite side is a Weis Markets, I believe you can go around there. psutimmah is the guy helping us out with the drop and pick up. if I have any of this wrong i'm sure he'll jump in and correct it. The woman at NCM said there should be no problems with the grain not being there by Tuesday. However, the way this whole ordering thing went down, we may want to plan for a Wednesday pick up just in case. up to you guys. I'm sure Tim could find out if the grains really do arrive Tuesday and let me/us know to save some of you guys the drive. however, I don't want anyone to change their schedule around for a Tuesday pick up, then the grains never show. As far as I know, I am good anyday next week, i'll just have to bring my son. i would think 6pm would be a descent time. that will give me time to get there by 5 and go through and sort everything for you guys to arrive at 6. I'd like to have the pick up last an hour, so if 6-7pm doesn't work with you, let us know what does work and we'll go from there.
Tom

So it won't be @ 1501 Gary Street Bethlehem, PA 18017? I'm coming from the KOP area so I'm not familiar with Land-Marks and there's a whole bunch of Sherwin Williams in Bethlehem.

So it won't be @ 1501 Gary Street Bethlehem, PA 18017? I'm coming from the KOP area so I'm not familiar with Land-Marks and there's a whole bunch of Sherwin Williams in Bethlehem.

The pick-up is not in Bethlehem. It's now in Reading at the Sherwin Williams he mentioned. Don't know if an address was given or not.

Tues/Wed/Fri all work for me. I might have to work Thursday evening, so I don't want to commit to it and then have to work and not be able to come down.

As mentioned, the pick up is in Reading. I believe the address is on the first page with the list of grains everyone ordered. If it's not, I know it is at the bottom of page #8. jwible204- coming from KOP, the easiest way would be to come all the way up 422. kryolla- where are you located? I'm sure we can have someone get your grains for you and you can pick them up from them. Sithdad- I know the whole ordering process has been hell, but if it gets delayed til Thursday for a pick up due to getting lost or something, I may have to go postal! (no offense to any mail carriers that may be in the buy!)
Tom
ps. I am in Fleetwood 19522. I'm more then happy to bring anyones grains back to my place.

Hey Tom,

Tuesday, Friday, or Sat, anytime work for me, any other days are impossible due to work schedule.

If pick up is Tues,Fri, or Sat I can bring my 150lb digital shipping scale to help weigh the partial sacks. A Home Depot 5 gallon bucket fits on it perfectly.

My son and I can get there a little early to help out sorting the pallet.

Hey guys. May kind of be a good thing we didn't get the grains tomorrow. For those of you who were interested and sent prayers etc., I believe we will be putting our Lab down tomorrow. We tried everything the vet offered, but nothing worked. She gained 6lbs of fluid in one week and stopped eating Wednesday. She is starting to have a real hard time breathing and pretty much doesn't even want to move. I'm not one to replace a pet immediately after the unfortunate, but this might be a different case do to my 5yo son. She is his best friend and I have a feeling it is going to tear him apart. So I ask, if anyone knows of any puppies for sale, preferrably a Dalmation or another Lab (not black), please let me know. Not saying I am going to take one, but I just want to have a source in case things go bad with him. Thanks.
Tom

Losing a pet is never easy and having to explain it to a child makes it even harder, thoughts and prayers for you and your family. I don't know of any puppies off hand, but will keep an eye out for you.

As for the grain p/u...any night other than Tuesday next week works for me...if we wait til saturday (12/11), I will be out of town and would need some help.

Thanks

Back