Yeast cake run away ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THCarnes

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a first time poster long time troller.

I have a question about a runaway temperature in my latest brew and was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to help me out.

This past Saturday I made an IPA and for the first time I decided to rack it onto the yeast cake from the batch I brewed last weekend. I used WLP001 yeast for the previous batch and tasted a sample before I racked it. It tasted great and I proceeded with my plan.

Well when I racked my IPA onto the yeast immediately after racking my amber ale to a secondary I noticed the temperature was a little higher than I wanted like 73F vs 70F. I though it would be all right since I ferment in a homemade fermentation chamber similar to the mother of a fermentation chiller. Well I put both carboys into the chiller refreshed my ice blocks and proceeded to clean up my mess from brewing.

To my surprise the beer was into a heavy fermentation after only 3 hours :) when typically when I pitch a 1L yeast starter it takes roughly 8 hours to see any signs of fermentation. Also to my surprise the beer temp had increased to around 78F :confused: so I started to troubleshoot what the issue was. Come to find out the fan I use to circulate the air was dead :mad: and I had no way of cooling down the wort since the fermentation is all but finished today.

Now to the real reason for the post. I want to know what types of flavors I should expect from the 78F to 80F fermentation temp of my IPA with WLP001 yeast.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe a little banana?

It will clean itself up after 4-5 months.

Brew something else FAST.

Count on vigorous fermentation from wide awake yeast, and 5 gallons takes a lot of help to get cooled.

I dump out 3/4 of the yeast cake if I re-use one.

You may experience some fusel (alcohol flavors) aka; headache cause'rs. It will be drinkable, may not be the 'best you made' - this same thing happened to me a few months ago. The beer turned out, I drink, my friends enjoy it, but I know it just isn't 'right'

I had my ac go out a day into my fermentation and temp got up to 78 as well. A month later and no noticeable effects. WLP001 is just s very neutral yeast

One more quick question.

The fermentation has essentially stopped in the primary.

I was wondering if it would be beneficial to rack to a secondary and let the beer age there for a couple of months to kill off some of the off flavors or should I leave it in the primary for another week or two?

I would leave it in the primary for at least 2 weeks, rack to a secondary if you choose for another 4 (give or take) and bottle condtion. It will change during all these steps given enough time and should be a very tasty beverage!

Back