Stinky Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjohnson77

Reaction score
I have my first mead fermenting for about a month and i thought it was going ok and it still maybe... it smells like fingernail polish remover... Is this normal?

I'm in the same timeline and my grape mead brings tears to my eyes when I smell it..LOL Don't worry it's normal, time heals all ...

Very normal (from my experience and what I have read)...I am on my first mead and have been learning as I go. I'm sure that a more experienced mead maker would yell at me...... I put it together last Sept I believe and the fermentation stuck at 1.035 (OG 1.110 I believe). I have aerated, added nutrients, tried new starters, etc. Last week, I racked it to a smaller, 3 gal carboy and tried one last time, and it worked! Bubbling away! I checked it last night before I left for work and it's down to 1.020!

Sorry to hijack, I'm very happy to finally see some action! :D

mead can take a while to age out. its more like a wine than beer in that regard.

some fruits in particular can be very funky until a year or two in the bottle.

'lighter fluid' is a good way to describe my first cyser. but it was drank to its entirety...from the 1 gallon primary, right off the lees!

ok, 'damn tasty lighter fluid' describes my first cyser :)

I believe fruits have complex sugars that need time to break down.. Some sugars won't break down without "help"

Back