Getting Yeast from Refrigerator to Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlw08

Reaction score
I know yeast are put under stress when introduced to drastic temperature changes in a short amount of time.

So when taking a white labs yeast vial out of the refrigerator, should I give it 24 hours before pitching into a starter vial? Is there any sort of guide to rousing liquid yeast from a storage environment to a starter environment? I've seen plenty of advice about pitching and starter sizes and aerating the wort etc, but not much on the process of yeast storage if you don't have your starter ready when the mail man comes with your LHBS yeast shipment!

Any advice is helpful. Thank you :tank:

What kind of Yeast are you using? If it's White Labs liquid yeast they state:
How should I store my yeast?

Yeast should be stored in the refrigerator prior to use. Remove the yeast from the refrigerator approximately two to six hours before pitching and allow the yeast to come up to room temperature. The reason for this is to prevent a temperature shock when the yeast is pitched.[/QUOTE

I assume you should get the Yeast and the starter very close to the same temperature. That should work well with Yeast Shock. :tank:

So for optimum yeast health (in all simplicity), one would simply just take it out of the refrigerator around 6 hours before pitching it into the unfermented starter? There is no shock with ambient temp conversion (assuming the ambient temp wasn't something nuts like 105 degrees)? Would leaving it out more than 6 hours significantly affect the yeast health?

So for optimum yeast health (in all simplicity), one would simply just take it out of the refrigerator around 6 hours before pitching it into the unfermented starter? There is no shock with ambient temp conversion (assuming the ambient temp wasn't something nuts like 105 degrees)? Would leaving it out more than 6 hours significantly affect the yeast health?

No, as long as your room temperature isn't ridiculously hot or cold. I assume you're talking about a day or two, not weeks.

Back