Can I rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmidc

Reaction score
I brewed an ale a few days ago and the OG on it was 1.057. Bubbling in the airlock started within 12 hours and went furiously for a day. Then slowly for another 12 hours or so. Today there was no bubbling at all so I wanted to check the gravity on it. It was 1.016, which is I guess in the ball park of where I thought it would end up. So my question is... Can I rack this beer to the secondary to clear up my primary to do another?? Or should I wait for a week or so.

You can rack it- but you'll have better beer if you wait a week or so.

Even though most of the fermentation is finished, the yeast are still working. After the fermentable sugar is gone, they then digest their own waste products like diacetyl, before going dormant. So, there is value in allowing the beer to remain in contact with the yeast cake during that time.

Thanks for the quick replies. You all are reaffirming my guy instinct on this. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it is very good now. I'll let it sit I don't want to mess this one up. It's only my third batch and I think it's going to be the best one of the three for sure.

Back