Looking for Dunkelweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to read some reviews to confirm it is an American style wheat. A starting grain bill for me would be:

Wheat 50%
Pale 40%
Crystal 40 3%
Crystal 80 3%
Chocolate 4%

From there I might decide sub some munich for the pale, maybe change up the crystal to include some special b, bump down the chocolate. Hopping would be a low IBU and little to no flavor/aroma. Ferment with one of the workhorse yeast like WLP 01, US 56, Nottingham and so forth.

One of the reviews mentioned it was a conservative brew and the actual site didn't make me feel any different. Not having tried any that's all I had to go on.

Here's a Dunkelweizen I did that ended up being a little too strong (so I called it a weizenbock), but it took second in a recent BJCP competition:

Weyermann Light Munich 4 lb
Weyermann Pale Wheat 6.5 lb
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat 0.5 lb

Palisades Pellets - Dual Purpose Hop 8.3% AA 1 oz@60

Wyeast Labs Weihenstephan Weizen - 3068 1 ea

I did a long, hot, thick mash, but ended up boiling off more than I expected which concentrated the wort and gave me a lot of melanoidins (which is good in a german dark beer). That chocolate wheat comes out VERY dark so I would halve or even quarter it.

3068 creates a LOT of banana/clove flavors and the melanoidins give it some vanilla. Ferment somewhat cooler than room temperature (~68) if you don't want an outright explosion of those flavors.

If you collect 7-8 gallons from the mash tun you shouldn't have the problem I had with it getting too concentrated.

Here's a Dunkelweizen I did that ended up being a little too strong (so I called it a weizenbock), but it took second in a recent BJCP competition:

Weyermann Light Munich 4 lb
Weyermann Pale Wheat 6.5 lb
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat 0.5 lb

Palisades Pellets - Dual Purpose Hop 8.3% AA 1 oz@60

Wyeast Labs Weihenstephan Weizen - 3068 1 ea

I did a long, hot, thick mash, but ended up boiling off more than I expected which concentrated the wort and gave me a lot of melanoidins (which is good in a german dark beer). That chocolate wheat comes out VERY dark so I would halve or even quarter it.

3068 creates a LOT of banana/clove flavors and the melanoidins give it some vanilla. Ferment somewhat cooler than room temperature (~68) if you don't want an outright explosion of those flavors.

If you collect 7-8 gallons from the mash tun you shouldn't have the problem I had with it getting too concentrated.

Maybe I'm a heathen, but I just add some extra water to the keggle when I boil off too much.

That is good to hear about 3068. I just got some in for my next batch, also a Dunkelweiss. I'm planning on about 65*F for fermenting, should I bump that up to 68*F?

Maybe I'm a heathen, but I just add some extra water to the keggle when I boil off too much.

That is good to hear about 3068. I just got some in for my next batch, also a Dunkelweiss. I'm planning on about 65*F for fermenting, should I bump that up to 68*F?

Only towards the very end

Back