Holding onto beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
My wife and I have brewed 7 extract kits none of them were above 1.060. We have been drinking a case and storing a case in the basement. My question is whether or not this is a good practice? I know that bigger beers can sit for a long time but do smaller beer benefit or not from sitting?
thanks

There's nothing wrong with storing beer in the basement. It's relatively cool which is good and it's usually dark. The flavor of the beer will change slightly over time but it's minimal and often for the good. Hefe's should be drank asap tho.

Chances are if you let them sit more than a year, even at cellar temps, you are going to start losing most of the flavor and aroma characteristics of the beer. IMO you will probably enjoy them more if you drink them within about 6-8 months. I ususally keep a couple of beers from each batch just for experimentation. But, IMO if you are storing whole cases for long periods of time, you are just wasting beer.

yeah, especially < 1060 I would bet after 1 year wouldn't be at its best. Is there a reason you're stashing a whole case away? Like JJL said, I stash a couple of bottles from each batch, but if those dont turn out so well, then it's not as big of a deal compared to half a batch.

I usually hold beer with my hands, one bottle in each to be precise. I can rarely keep HB long enough to cellar anyways.

Obligatory comment recommending it's all bad and should be mailed to myself for disposal.

I haven't yet developed enough homebrew to have the patience required to keep much around for aging, but wouldn't it depend on the style more than the OG? I know generally speaking the brews that need aging have a higher OG but I would think a high OG having IIPA should be consumed earier than a low OG having stout. I guess what I'm asking about is whether the effects of aging are needed more for the alcohol mellowing, the mellowing/developing of other flavors, or a mix of both depending on a whole lot of specifics regarding what beer is in question.

Thanks in advance for clarification on this and I apologize for any perceived hijacking. I hope the OP finds the responses as useful as I'm sure to.

Back