Simple efficiency revelation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmenges

Reaction score
My apologies if this is something totally obvious as I am new to All Grain brewing but after listening to a mash efficiency BrewStrong Podcast I thought of something.

I've only done a couple of All Grain batches but they mentioned that efficiency is impacted significantly by the amount of grains extracted from the first runnings rather than the second. The reason being is that once water is added for the second sparge the sugars are dilluted.

I noticed that when I tipped the cooler to get as much wort as possible out, my efficiency increased by ten percent (I'm using a 50 quart cooler with a SS braid). Does this sound logical to some of the more experienced all grainers out there? Let me know what you think.

Well, if you're doing a no-sparge lauter, and your tun's deadspace is 11.1% of your preboil volume, and tipping the tun drained 100% of the deadspace, yeah, that would exactly account for a 10% increase in efficiency (from, say, 70 to 77%).*

Pretty simple math, you just have to be accurate and consistent (with weights, volumes, and gravities) for it to be meaningful.:mug:

*This is not a very likely scenario.

I didn't realize that people didn't tilt their mash tuns. Seemed pretty obvious that I wanted all of the wort that was below the level of my valve.

I have a false bottom with a bit of a dip tube under it, so I have very little deadspace in my MLT and don't need to tip it.

Right, mash tun design has a lot to do with inherent deadspace and whether tilting it would yield less deadspace. Yes, any wort left behind in batch sparging deducts efficiency. Tilting is most beneficial in large rectangular coolers with no "dip tube" when you're doing a small beer.

Back