Acceptable Age of Crushed Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I admit it, I purchased 8# of Maris Otter and planned to make my first AG batch 4 weeks ago and the weather/kids/work/life/planning to make the batch has me 4 weeks later with a bag of crushed grain. I plan on using it before Christmas but it might actually not be until next weekend... that makes 5 weeks... Palmer suggests 2 weeks in a cool dry place... I've had it for 4 in a 71 degree dry room... Do I toss it or use it? I want my first batch to be worthy (like I won't screw anything else up) so if I have to I can toss the grain..

Thanks for help!

you'll be fine, this question pops up often and many people have waited months without any apparent consequence.

taste it and see, it should still be relatively crunchy. if it is soft and mushy, i would probably get new grain.

Should it be in the fridge? It's in my resting covered brew kettle in a bag in the dark in a dry 71F room... I think if I put 10# of grain in the fridge it might be my last beer straw w/the SWMBO... But the garage is like 38F I can keep it there... But the mice could possibly get it, heh...

may I suggest a small expense, and SWMBO can use it too - a vacuum sealer (FoodSaver or other) from the wallyworld. I keep my grains (some crushed, some uncrushed) sealed up. And the 38F garage won't hurt - throw the sealed grain into a small rubbemaid storage container with a top and the rodents won't get in it.

I am new to home brew but do a lot of bread baking. I keep a variety of whole grains on hand at all times. Currently I have whole wheat, Rye, Flax Meal, Wheat Germ and steal cut oats.

All whole grains have the same problem oils that can go rancid. That being said I've get some of my wheat and flax in a 4qt restaurant grade container for 6 months in the basement and have never had them go rancid.

If you do not go the food saver route I highly recomend finding a local restaraunt supply store and picking up the 4 qt container that look like big measuring cups and lids. Those babies seal tight. A ptouch or dymo label printer is handy because a lot of the grains look and smell very similar when milled.

Latest posts

Back