Transport primary fermenter (in car) during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31748

Reaction score
Hi all,

So a few days ago, I introduced my brother to the joy of homebrewing. Unfortunately, due to some complicated logistics, we couldn't brew the beer (am IPA with Warrior, Chinook, Centennials) at his house, but rather an hour away at my parent's place. Though the beer could theoretically live here, I'd really love him to be able to witness the whole process (I remember sitting next to my primary for hours during my first brews...)

And so, the following question:

We are three days into fermentation. It's bubbling about once per second, so there should be a nice thick layer of CO2 in there. Provided that we maintain a steady temperature, will the inevitable sloshing of a one-hour car drive impact the beer negatively? I read this thread about transporting fermenting beer, which seems to give the go ahead, but I wanted see if anyone else has an opinion, here.

Thank you very much!

If you can control the temperature and keep the beer from sunlight, you should be good...

I would be more concerned with the thing tipping over...

I think you should be okay as long as you move it early in fermentation, but obviously you are running a risk. I would definately drive so it doesn't slosh around as best as you can.

I was forced to transport a bucket on day two of fermentation, pretty much in a warm car over several hours, including having the car stopped several times during the trip. And although I had a near blowoff. The beer came out beautifully though. I had pitched plenty of yeast and did my usual month in primary so no issues with off flavors.

Back