Straining wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
I brewed up the Austin Home Brew Pumpkin Ale last night, by the time my wort cooled it was almost midnight, and I was exhausted. I was straining the wort into my better bottle, and the strainer kept getting clogged.
Before getting so pissed, and throwing the strainer across the kitchen, I put it in the sink, and funneled right into the BB. There are quite a few orange peels floating around in the beer now in the BB. Will them being in for the entire fermentation cause off flavors?
I did search the forum about straining wort, but did not find anything too informative.
Thanks,
Dave

Will cause flavors for sure,, but whether they will be "off flavors" will be up to you depending on if its what you want or not. I personally would not worry about it.

I typically use a colander with small holes rather than a mesh strainer for "straining" wort. To minimize the amount of trub that gets dumped into your fermentor you may want to use a combination of the two for maximum effectiveness (but definately colander first). Trying to start with a tight mesh strainer can be a nightmare even if all you're straining out are the remains of hop pellets from a boil.

I used to have this problem until I started whirlpooling.
After flame out I lift the keggle to where I'm going to drain it from (usually the picnic table) Then chill it, Imediately after chilling, I swirl the entire volume of wort and let it sit (with lid on) until done swirling. This concentrates all the gunk to the center, after that I simply drain into the fermentor. The stuff that may float will get hung up on the gunk at the bottom before it's drawn through the spigot downspout.

Well, ok, maybe I chill it first, then lift it to the table, OWEEE!

If you use whole leaf hops and have a racking cane:

Boil wort, and throw everything in as normal. Once it's cool put a racking cane in there and siphon. The hops will cause it stop flowing freely, when that happens just lift the end of the hose up so that it backflows about 2 feet. Then let er rip again. If you do this 3-4 times the hops will settle around the racking cane and form a great filterbed and it will not clog again.

This is what I do for every single batch. A very small amount of hop material gets through, but orange peels certainly won't.

It will be absolutly OK. I think it will give a little more orange flavor but probably not too much(depending on how much you used). Ive used orange peels in a secondary before and sooner or later they will just sink to the bottom. I will be happy to sample a gallon and make a judgement when its done:)

Latest posts

Back