Mash on Stove top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo-Brewer

Reaction score
I am wanting to go into All-Grain brewing soon and I dont have a mash tun.
Is it possible to do the mash on the stove top? My stove stays at exactly 155 degrees F on Medium heat. In stead of heating the water on the stove and then pouring it over the crushed grain in a mash tun, can I just steep the crushed grain in a steeping bag in the 155 degree water on the stove and sparge it with water from a tea kettle? :confused: :mug:

Any help on this subject would be great.

Thank you,

Cheers

Put the pot in the oven once you hit your temp., it is far easier than manipulating the temp on the burner/heating element.

I've been stovetop brewing with a 5 gallon bucket and false bottom as a lauder tun since the early 90's. I only recently upgraded to the Gott cooler method. You can make some fantastic beers this way. You need to watch the temperature closely, but adding a little heat is simple (just don't forget to stir). Your mash can range a bit without any noticable adverse effect. I wrapped the pot with an old beach towel to help hold the heat in. Once you've mashed out, ladle the stuff into the mashtun and sparge away.

Charlie Papazian still brews this way. It works.

I can handle about 7# max in a 5 gallon lobster pot on the stove top. I use a food grade bucket and a big mesh bag for grain v- wort separation chores.

sorry for the thread jack but instead of cluttering up the boards I thought i could post in here...I did deathbrewers method last week but the problem is im using a big turkey fryer kettle to mash in and it holds up to 7 gallons of liquid...My issue was with the amount of water I was using and grains only came up to about the half way mark on the kettle which left a LOT of room for heat to dissipate.....What would be the adverse effect of adding more water the same amount of grains when doing a partial mash? In my mind it seems you would have a better chance of getting the sugars out of all the grain with more water..or is there a scientific reason behind why it has to be a certain amount of water?

Back