"Les Gars Brasser" Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP566
Yeast Starter
1 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 US
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.1 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 days at 68F, 21 days at 80F
Tasting Notes
Deliciously spicy and fruity. Full of flavor!
This is one of my favorite recipes to-date. If you can't get WLP566 (it's a platinum strain) then WLP565 I'm sure makes a fine substitute. Let it naturally rise after the two days at 68F until it hits 80F, then hold it there for the remainder of fermentation. It helps dry the beer out, and brings out a lot of great character from this yeast. IBUs are calculated using Tinseth.

8lb Pilsner Malt (1.7 SRM) 72.7%
1lb Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) 9.1%
1lb Munich Malt (7.1 SRM) 9.1%
1lb Table Sugar 9.1% (add to the beginning of the boil)

2oz Williamette pellets 4.0%AA at 45min (24.9 IBUs)
2oz Saaz whole cones 4.5%AA at 10min (10.1 IBUs)

Substitutions: Sub WLP565 for 566 if you need to. If using all pellet hops, just aim for a similar IBU with the 10min Saaz addition.

Mash at 148F for an hour. Bottled to 3vol CO2.

6095025724_b684fbb2f7.jpg

Looks classic and tasty!

OT: how'd you do the sahti you have in your sig line? I did one earlier this year and intend to do it again- the first shot was waaay too junipery.

OT: how'd you do the sahti you have in your sig line? I did one earlier this year and intend to do it again- the first shot was waaay too junipery.

I basically mashed in my boil kettle, and then dumped the whole thing into my tun with juniper lining the bottom. Just sparged in there and collected the runnings into a bucket. I actually split the batch into 2.5gal of traditional no hop, no boil wort, and the other half with a more modern approach. I'm going to be throwing up a post about it soon. I'll message you when I do.. it was really fun to make.

I basically mashed in my boil kettle, and then dumped the whole thing into my tun with juniper lining the bottom. Just sparged in there and collected the runnings into a bucket. I actually split the batch into 5gal of traditional no hop, no boil wort, and the other half with a more modern approach. I'm going to be throwing up a post about it soon. I'll message you when I do.. it was really fun to make.

Mmm. I think I'll try that approach next time. I added the juniper to the mash, and it was a little much. I'll look forward to your post- I have more questions, but I'll stop cluttering this beautiful saison thread.

Back