Honey Almond Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStooge

Reaction score
Hi all, well it's time to prep up another batch, and this time I'm looking to tweak the kit a bit. As a base I'm looking to use Midwest's Honey Bee Ale:

3.3 lb. Gold malt extract
3 lb. Minnesota clover honey
8 oz. Carapils
1 oz. Glacier (bittering)
1 oz. Argentine Cascade (aroma)

As a minor tweak I'd planned to add another 2 lb of honey late in and some Almond extract at bottling.

I'm hoping to to end up with something akin to a honey/nut breakfast cereal, minus the oats with a minor hops backdrop but more on the malty side.

So 2 questions: has anyone used almond extract in a brew here, and if so how much to a 5 gallon batch in order to have it present but not overwhelming. The second is more general purpose but kinda long.

In my previous cream ale, beersmith gave a figure, all things considered, of about 20.2 IBU, which seems low to a newb like me but it tasted far more bitter than I expected. Then it occurred to me that since I hadn't used a bag and just filtered it when in transfer, and for right now I'm still using the ice bath method of cooling, it could have been still converting some after taking it off the heat and thus bringing the IBU count up from what I'd figured. Can anyone tell me at what temperature hops will stop imparting a bittering quality? I was considering cutting the Glacier down to a half oz (still at 60 minutes) to drop it some, but I'm only looking for slightly malty, not candy beer. Thanks all! :p

Re: almond: IIRC, Radny Mosher suggests almond extract in one of his Radical brewing recipes and says to just add a drop to what I think is a full batch. He wasn't going for a strong almond flavor, but it seems that a little goes a long way.

If no one has a better response, you could take a bottle of commercial homey beer and add a drop of extract and see what it tastes like. It wouldn't be a perfect test, but could point you in the right direction.

Gotcha, I'd read on a few cooking sites just how little is needed in food so figgured better to ask. The other extracts from the LHBS come in 4oz bottles and say to use as much as the full 4 depending on what one's going for but those are more like fruit juice.

I've used almond extract in candy I have made and that shtuff is strong! A little does go a long way! I would love to know how this turns out! It sounds fantastic. Maybe substitute honey with maple!:mug:

Back