Avoiding Oxidation When Bottling from Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to lack of sufficient funds and space, building and owning a cheezer is not a viable option for me. However, I am considering buying a single keg and using it to bottle my beers.

One thing I see over and over again is people expressing concern for oxidizing their beer when bottling from a keg without a beer gun. My question is, how does bottling from the keg in this way (with a racking cane) in any way increase risk of oxidation that wouldn't already be there when, say, bottling and priming? When I bottle with priming sugar there is a little headspace that isn't pumped with CO2 gas, and yet I never have had problems with oxidized beer nor is that something people seem to express as a concern.

Hi all,

Due to lack of sufficient funds and space, building and owning a cheezer is not a viable option for me. However, I am considering buying a single keg and using it to bottle my beers.

One thing I see over and over again is people expressing concern for oxidizing their beer when bottling from a keg without a beer gun. My question is, how does bottling from the keg in this way (with a racking cane) in any way increase risk of oxidation that wouldn't already be there when, say, bottling and priming? When I bottle with priming sugar there is a little headspace that isn't pumped with CO2 gas, and yet I never have had problems with oxidized beer nor is that something people seem to express as a concern.

When you are using priming sugar in the bottle, the yeast scavenge a bunch of that dissolved oxygen--also, the wort is normally warm and that means less oxygen in solution. If you are bottling "cold, already carbonated" beer from a keg, you don't have a bottle prime/fermentation to scavenge oxygen and cold beer picks it up into solution easier.

I use more beers counter pressure bottle filler. It purges with CO2 and pressurizes the bottle so you dont get foaming. Once you get it figured out it works great.

Back