St Bernardus bottle cultured yeast for ABT 12 attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm understanding this, it sounds like whatever is in the pater 6 is close to the primary strain?

I harvested from three pater 6 bottles several weeks back.

Tossed the bottom of those bottles in a 200ml starter with 10g of DME. Let it run for a week and then dumped that into another 200ml starter with 10g of DME. Let that run for three days, then cold crashed for two weeks.

Decanted and then pitched into a traditional 500ml starter on a stir plate. Let that run through fermentation and then pitched the whole thing into 1000ml starter, also on a stir plate. Let that run through fermentation and now I'm cold crashing it, probably for another week.

I think I'm going to brew a quad that's close to the Abt 12 in two weeks, so I'll decant my starter and dump the yeast into a 1500ml starter for brew day.

Would you say that's enough? Or should I make an additional 1500ml starter before my brew starter? I only have a 2L flask, so I can't make my starters bigger than 1500ml. Most clone recipe's have the OG around 1.103 or more but I think St. Bernardus has theirs at 1.090-something? Wonder if this will bring it down towards 1.011.

I'm excited to try this mystery strain. I would think that if they bottled all their beers with a lager yeast, that using this at ale temps for primary fermentation would create unwanted flavors. But it sounds like it's been making great beer for some of you?

If I'm understanding this, it sounds like whatever is in the pater 6 is close to the primary strain?

I harvested from three pater 6 bottles several weeks back.

Tossed the bottom of those bottles in a 200ml starter with 10g of DME. Let it run for a week and then dumped that into another 200ml starter with 10g of DME. Let that run for three days, then cold crashed for two weeks.

Decanted and then pitched into a traditional 500ml starter on a stir plate. Let that run through fermentation and then pitched the whole thing into 1000ml starter, also on a stir plate. Let that run through fermentation and now I'm cold crashing it, probably for another week.

I think I'm going to brew a quad that's close to the Abt 12 in two weeks, so I'll decant my starter and dump the yeast into a 1500ml starter for brew day.

Would you say that's enough? Or should I make an additional 1500ml starter before my brew starter? I only have a 2L flask, so I can't make my starters bigger than 1500ml. Most clone recipe's have the OG around 1.103 or more but I think St. Bernardus has theirs at 1.090-something? Wonder if this will bring it down towards 1.011.

I'm excited to try this mystery strain. I would think that if they bottled all their beers with a lager yeast, that using this at ale temps for primary fermentation would create unwanted flavors. But it sounds like it's been making great beer for some of you?

Yeah I used yeast from fresh pater bottles and that yeast worked great, almost too great. It attenuated everything like crazy and really gave that st b. aroma. they said at the brewery that they use different yeast for fermentation but whatever that yeast is it seems great. If i would get my hands on fresh bottles again i would deffinitely harvest it!

Yeah I used yeast from fresh pater bottles and that yeast worked great, almost too great. It attenuated everything like crazy and really gave that st b. aroma. they said at the brewery that they use different yeast for fermentation but whatever that yeast is it seems great. If i would get my hands on fresh bottles again i would deffinitely harvest it!

Great, can't wait to brew with it!

Any recommendation on whether I know I have enough?

Great, can't wait to brew with it!

Any recommendation on whether I know I have enough?

Split the starter into different vessels like growlers. This si what I do when I need more than my 2L can fit

you can also decant, and add fresh wort on top to boost it a bit more in the one vessel

201511090768.jpg

One month into fermentation and my gravity reached 1.006 from an OG of 1.094! Obviously I have two more months of conditioning but that Bernardus aroma is ever so prominent! Smells delicious!

I wish I saved some of the pater 6 yeast for another batch. I'll probably bottle with Westmalle yeast to make things easier on myself for bottle conditioning.

Happy New Year!!!

One month into fermentation and my gravity reached 1.006 from an OG of 1.094! Obviously I have two more months of conditioning but that Bernardus aroma is ever so prominent! Smells delicious!

I wish I saved some of the pater 6 yeast for another batch. I'll probably bottle with Westmalle yeast to make things easier on myself for bottle conditioning.

Happy New Year!!!

I need to get my hands on some pater 6 again! I wonder why that yeast is so aggressive, maybe its a mix of the sixtus yeast and some kind of bottling yeast? When I used it my dubbel went from 1080-1005. Do they still sell that special St B. Blonde in the states? thats even lower abv and should be great for harvesting!

I assume you're referring to the Extra 4. Yes they do! I have one left in my fridge! It's probably perfect for harvesting.

Is it any good? They only exported that beer to the states as far as i know, not even sure if they sell it in belgium, dont think so.
They released Chimay Doree Goud(4.8% blond) here in sweden last year and it was quite dissapointing and i was kind of hoping that St B 4 would be a dissapointment aswell so that im not missing out on anything :)

Is it any good?

It definitely suits the style. Very crisp. I imagine it's very refreshing in the spring. But I prefer the dubbel and quadrupel styles myself. I'd love to try the Tripel at some point. I don't seem to find them on the shelf where I'm at. I had no idea the Extra 4 was only shipped to the states? I do remember reading they discontinued it for a while.

It definitely suits the style. Very crisp. I imagine it's very refreshing in the spring. But I prefer the dubbel and quadrupel styles myself. I'd love to try the Tripel at some point. I don't seem to find them on the shelf where I'm at. I had no idea the Extra 4 was only shipped to the states? I do remember reading they discontinued it for a while.

the tripel is my favourite tripe, but on the other hand i think that prior 8 is the best dubbel aswell:)
I visited the brewery last year and they had built new equipment so that they could increase production with like 80% and it was all because of the demand from the us. So you guys will probably see st b everywhere soon!

I visited the brewery last year and they had built new equipment so that they could increase production with like 80% and it was all because of the demand from the us. So you guys will probably see st b everywhere soon!

As long as it doesn't change the quality, I have no objections!:mug:

Yep, I've used it a few times in open fermentation. Primary fermentation in a 50 litre stainless pot with lid. Moved to a 23 litre glass carboy for secondary. Worked well for me.

Just a quick update on my progress if anyone was interested:

Had the beer in secondary at around 45-50 degrees F. I know that a 5 degree swing might not be ideal but I don't have a controlled environment yet. This sat for 60 days or so. I then brought the temp up to 73 degrees over the course of three days so I can bottle.

Gravity dropped two more points at bottling time, from 1.006 to 1.004. This puts me at 12% ABV. I assume this must be the lager yeast they bottle with that brought it down some? Some of the aroma faded a bit in contrast to when I transferred to secondary, but it's still there. I pitched Westmalle's yeast at bottling and primed for 3.0 volumes of co2. In hindsight, I kinda wish I primed a little bit more but I'm sure 3.0 is fine.

Today marks two weeks in the bottle at 75 degrees. It's not even close to being carbonated. There wasn't really any pressure upon opening. I assume that this will need plenty of time in the bottle. I will say it tasted pretty good for a flat beer. Don't really want to judge it until it's fully carbed. I guess I'll give this another month before I try any more.

Is there any update on this?
Any news on the tripel yeast?
I ask about the tripel yeast as it was mentioned early on AND tripel and abt are the only two I can get here in Thailand.

Is there any update on this?

Still not fully carbed. Really wish I primed closer to 4.5 volumes of CO2. March bottles were completely flat. June bottles had a very small "pst" upon opening. Little to no carbonation. Probably gonna open again in November.

As for the tripel, I say give it a go. But try to use the 375ml/11oz bottles rather than the large ones. The bigger bottles are composed off-site, whereas the smaller bottles are filled at the brewery.

Probably gonna open again in November.

I will note that the taste in June was fairly solid. It's completely it's own quadrupel. Wasn't as reminiscent of Bernardus as it was before going into secondary. Perhaps the lower temperature conditioning took that away. We'll see how it goes whenever, or if, it ever fully carbs.

Thanks very much for that.
I can only get the 330 bottles.
Will give it a go

More than likely, my last update on my batch.

My bottles never fully carbed at 3.0 volumes of CO2. They've been in the bottle since March of this year.

I'm going to assume I didn't prime high enough. There is a slight release in pressure on opening the bottle, but not much.

The beer tastes really great even though it's practically flat! Would love to have the whole experience with it fully carbed but it seems that won't be the case.

Back