• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

medical oxygen tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infection

Reaction score
these are 100% filled tanks, they will last a homebrewer a LONG time for the amount we are using to only oxygenate wort, they all use the same regulator (not included)

have sizes D, M9, ML6...see image
lets assume for a 5 gallon batch you use the tank at the "1" setting for 30 seconds
have 3 sizes; from the smallest to largest:

Cylinder Size: ML6, 165 Liters - good for 336 five gallon batches - $40
Cylinder Size: M9 (C), 255 Liters - good for 480 five gallon batches - $60
Cylinder Size: D, 425 Liters - good for 828 five gallon batches - $80

pickup only, Cherry Hill, NJ

these tanks are normally much more expensive, and sold empty
example http://www.phc-online.com/Oxygen_Tank_Accessory_s/106.htm

email me at: [email protected]

tanks.jpg

I don't know if you have a hookup to get these filled but I have two of the "E" cylinders. You know who can fill them or do you want them?

I would really like to get them filled, even one filled would last a very long time. I would trade 2 empty and 1 regulator for 1 large full one. Do you ever come north to ny?

Yes, I do sometimes. Where about are you located? I can trade you a full one for 2 empties and a regulator.

I wish you lived closer to the west coast because I'd really like to acquire one of these... an aeration system is my next brew purchase :)

I'm about 1 hour north of NYC, it takes about an hour to get to the jersey side of the GWB. If you plan to come up this way let me know and I can meet you at a rest stop somewhere. I would do that trade if we can find a way to meet up.

We found a woman on Craigslist selling them because the company she got them from was out of business. Otherwise, you would need to get a prescription.

Any ideas how to have that conversation with your doctor?

Call your local medical supply company. You need a prescription (certificate of medical necessity) to get health insurance to pay. It should be a routine purchase, unless your state is dumber than mine (& I'm in Illinois. )

Call your local medical supply company. You need a prescription (certificate of medical necessity) to get health insurance to pay. It should be a routine purchase, unless your state is dumber than mine (& I'm in Illinois. )

Well, there ya go!

Why can't you get an oxygen tank from a local welding supply company and have them fill it up?

Why can't you get an oxygen tank from a local welding supply company and have them fill it up?

You can but it won't be pure oxygen. Welding O2 has a bit more moisture I believe. Does not make any difference for aerating wort though. It's just that we found this deal and couldn't pass it up.

You can but it won't be pure oxygen. Welding O2 has a bit more moisture I believe. Does not make any difference for aerating wort though. It's just that we found this deal and couldn't pass it up.
I'm not sure that ^ is true welding O2 is 99.9% pure (same purity as Med. O2) but what I have been told that the med. and welding tanks have different size connection there for therefore you can’t get a med. tank filled at a welding supply place.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

As a former jeweler I have a small O2 tank that I filled at a welding place and have been using with no ill effects.

I'm not sure that ^ is true welding O2 is 99.9% pure (same purity as Med. O2) but what I have been told that the med. and welding tanks have different size connection there for therefore you can’t get a med. tank filled at a welding supply place.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

As a former jeweler I have a small O2 tank that I filled at a welding place and have been using with no ill effects.

I do know they use different connections/regulators. But I cannot confirm or deny about the quality. Perhaps they are the same. I just heard differently and was passing that along.

After some research, the consensus seems that all grades of oxygen (medical, welding, aviation, etc.) come from the same pure oxygen source. The only difference is the insurance involved for each, which drives the prices accordingly. So since people are going to breathe medical grade, they charge more to make up for all of the insurance they must carry to ensure it's safe.

I do know they use different connections/regulators. But I cannot confirm or deny about the quality. Perhaps they are the same. I just heard differently and was passing that along.

After some research, the consensus seems that all grades of oxygen (medical, welding, aviation, etc.) come from the same pure oxygen source. The only difference is the insurance involved for each, which drives the prices accordingly. So since people are going to breathe medical grade, they charge more to make up for all of the insurance they must carry to ensure it's safe.

Finally a topic a I have answers to. I work for a homecare company and we receive our bulk liquid oxygen from a gas distributor. All oxygen starts as liquid oxygen and it all comes from the same bulk tank. As mentioned above the difference is the connections/regulators technically but more importantly the vessel it is stored in. Homecare providers typically use aluminum cylinders for a lighter weight for patients to carry and the are must be retested every 5 years. Most Gas distribution companies use steel cylinder as the cost is less and the hydrostatic testing dates are 10 years for the steel cylinders if they are marked with a star on the collar of the cylinder. The oxygen we receive must be a minimum 99.92% for the load to be accepted. As long as there are no contaminants in your cylinder your percentage should be close as well. You have to be provided a 'certificate of analysis' for any "medical grade oxygen" that is produced because it is regulated by the FDA so I would assume the other cylinders are checked as well. Sorry to be so long winded.

Not trying to hack the thread but I got 2ea. E tanks I would consider trade for ball lock corney, CO2 tank, CO2 regulator, or any other kegging gear?? No O2 Regulator. Works with above regulator and my local welding shop will fill them.

Finally a topic a I have answers to. I work for a homecare company and we receive our bulk liquid oxygen from a gas distributor. All oxygen starts as liquid oxygen and it all comes from the same bulk tank. As mentioned above the difference is the connections/regulators technically but more importantly the vessel it is stored in. Homecare providers typically use aluminum cylinders for a lighter weight for patients to carry and the are must be retested every 5 years. Most Gas distribution companies use steel cylinder as the cost is less and the hydrostatic testing dates are 10 years for the steel cylinders if they are marked with a star on the collar of the cylinder. The oxygen we receive must be a minimum 99.92% for the load to be accepted. As long as there are no contaminants in your cylinder your percentage should be close as well. You have to be provided a 'certificate of analysis' for any "medical grade oxygen" that is produced because it is regulated by the FDA so I would assume the other cylinders are checked as well. Sorry to be so long winded.

Just curious...would a home healthcare fill anyone's medical O2 tank? I ask because I was at a local flea market and a guy was selling one...but i passed because i was not sure I could easily get it filled...if so...what is a ballpark cost for filling it?

I know size probably plays a role...just trying to get an idea on the cost....

BTW...it was about 3' tall and skinny and had its own dolly...and looked like regulator..but gauge missing its lens...he was asking $80...was not sure if that was a good price...

Not trying to hack the thread but I got 2ea. E tanks I would consider trade for ball lock corney, CO2 tank, CO2 regulator, or any other kegging gear?? No O2 Regulator. Works with above regulator and my local welding shop will fill them.

Are they full?

Just curious...would a home healthcare fill anyone's medical O2 tank? I ask because I was at a local flea market and a guy was selling one...but i passed because i was not sure I could easily get it filled...if so...what is a ballpark cost for filling it?

I know size probably plays a role...just trying to get an idea on the cost....

BTW...it was about 3' tall and skinny and had its own dolly...and looked like regulator..but gauge missing its lens...he was asking $80...was not sure if that was a good price...

You would need to have a prescription to get them filled.

I do have a few full cylinders left if you are interested. Just PM me for prices/sizes/etc.

You would need to have a prescription to get them filled.

I do have a few full cylinders left if you are interested. Just PM me for prices/sizes/etc.

Ferman is correct. From a legit home medical supplier you are going to need a prescription since oxygen is a regulated drug by the FDA. I have known "mom and pop" suppliers to do a cash deal and not ask questions. The size of tank you saw is call an E tank. The cart and regulator if in working order are worth the $80 by themselves. Personally I would call call local suppliers in your area such as Air Liquide, Air Gas or Praxair, and if they will fill a medical tank for you then go from there. Are suppliers here will not fill for individuals.

The E tank will last years for you. If you aerate at 1/2 liter per minute for 60 seconds and that is more than enough for the yeast to get extra happy. Most gas suppliers will do a trade in and you just pay for contents but that is for the welding tanks. If you obtained a prescription and paid for it out of pocket and didn't worry about the insurance we would charge $15.33 per cylinder.

Easiest way is get a welding tank, purchase a regulator from ebay, craigslist or Harbor Freight and ask for a certificate of analysis to see what purity your tank has. Good luck!

Maybe 10-15 years ago a fedex plane went down in the swaps of Florida because some packed up an oxygen tank and ship it home with the regulatory still on it. The change in pressure made it pop and blew a hole in the side of the plane...

runs4beer said:
Maybe 10-15 years ago a fedex plane went down in the swaps of Florida because some packed up an oxygen tank and ship it home with the regulatory still on it. The change in pressure made it pop and blew a hole in the side of the plane...

That was Valujet 592. They had oxygen generators in the cargo that got knocked. These generators chemically react to produce O2 and a ton of heat that resulted in a fire. Not the same as O2 bottles. We actually have medical oxygen tanks onboard for medical emergencies.

image-250424050.jpg

That was Valujet 592. They had oxygen generators in the cargo that got knocked. These generators chemically react to produce O2 and a ton of heat that resulted in a fire. Not the same as O2 bottles. We actually have medical oxygen tanks onboard for medical emergencies.

View attachment 40328

Different disaster, this was a fedex plain and a med. tank.

Back