re-pitching yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guy and gals...so I had this problem in the past. Brewed up the beer, put it in the glass carboy and let it sit. Right now I brewed this past Monday and it has been sitting at a temp of 68 degrees. It is now Thursday morning and still not action.

In the past this has happened but after the 3rd or 4th day the fermentation begins. My question is what does re-pitching yeast do to the beer? Will it change the flavor or color. Is to much yeast a bad thing for the wort? I have never re-pitched yeast to a batch so I don't know what it will do.

Just wondering in case I have to do it.

Thanks.

I had a stalled fermentation after 10 days at 1.020, so I just pitched a pack of nottingham last night, I hope theres no effect on flavor since the yeast pretty much do their thing and then fall out of suspension(for the most part), we'll find this one out together.

Rehydrate and throw another packet of dry yeast in there.

Your problem looks to be not having enough viable yeast, don't be worried about too much at this point.

You brewed it 3 days ago and no action? That seems a bit long. If you were to pitch more of the same yeast it wouldn't hurt anything, especially not the color or flavor of the beer.

first before you do anything double check the temp of your wort. i'm willing to bet it has dropped lower than you expect.

Actually- before you add any more yeast, take a hydrometer reading and let us know what it is at right now and what the OG was.

Back