Pitching yeast temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicGT

Reaction score
OK so I've searched around and saw others with similar questions but figured I'd ask. I'm new to brewing, doing extract with dry yeast. I'm on my 3rd brew last night and didn't have enough ice and time to cool it down to what I wanted. So it was at 78deg, I decided to pitch the yeast and hope for the best, when I got home from work tonight its down to the 68 degrees I was hoping for, but no bubbles in the airlock (been 17hrs) I'm using nottingham dry yeast, and my last batch used the same and was bubbling a decent amount by now, both batches are IPA's.
Am I just being over concerned, or if it doesn't start should I pitch another packet of yeast, and if so do I oxygenate again, or is that something I don't want to do just in case it has started to ferment.

78 degrees isn't high enough to kill the yeast, so don't worry.

There may be a couple of reasons why you don't see bubbling. One, maybe the seal isn't airtight and co2 is escaping elsewhere. Or, maybe the 78 degrees got the Nottingham going, and it's already finished up. (I've had beers ferment out literally in less than 24 hours before).

In any case, it's fine. Just wait about a week or so and check the final gravity to make sure it's done.

I used Nottingham for my first brew and it didn't start bubbling until day 2.

As mentioned in several places on the forum; LACK OF BUBBLING DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NOT FERMENTING! RDWEAHB!

Agreed - I got no bubbles with my first batch and it was nearly at its final gravity in 3 days.

I just did a Russian Imperial with an OG of 1.1. It was eerily silent for two days and had me worried. I took a gravity today and it's down to 1.02.

Fermentation can be sneaky:D
Take a gravity reading and RDWHAHB

i once read my temp wrong pitched my yeast and looked at temp again and it read 90 and i thought it said 80 and it came out good, i got drunk and so did a friend. dont go doing that though, that was luck.

And keep in mind that if you keep your fermenting tempertures within the ranges recommended for the yeast, and that includes pitching temps, then, you'll make better beer.

IF you searched and saw people with similar questions, did you happen to notice an ongoing theme of answers about not using your airlock as a fermentation gauge or not to worry immediately because Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start.

Read those links, get out of the habit of watching for airlock action, and more importantly, relax....

I didn't see the ones abotu 72 hours, but did know that the airlock isn't a true indicator, but this batch is very similar to my last and it bubbled vigorously so thats why I mentioned it. I was more concerned about the temp since I wasn't sure about that. Once thing I did learn is have twice as much ice as I think I need.
On a note with that how much of a hassle is a wort chiller in a kitchen with a 5 gallon brewpot? I'm getting water everywhere and taking forevre with the ice bath, so thinking of investing, and anyone have recommendations?

Back